TagsPremiership NewsAbout the authorIan FerrisShare the loveHave your say Malta Tourism Authority deny value of Man Utd dealby Ian Ferrisa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveMalta’s minister for tourism, Konrad Mizzi, has denied reports claiming the department will pay close to €20 million (US$22 million) over three years for its sponsorship deal with Manchester United, reports, www.sportspromedia.com/.The Premier League outfit agreed a deal with the Maltese government and the Malta Tourism Authority (MTA) earlier in September to promote the country as a tourist destination. The agreement will see the Visit Malta brand given advertising space at Old Trafford, United’s home stadium, and also publicity via the club’s digital marketing channels,It was first reported by the Times pf Malta on 23rd September that the contract is valued at €20 million over three years.However, Mizzi has branded the report as ‘fake news’ in a series of posts on social media, while also describing the valuation of the deal as ‘meaningless and extraordinary’. The MTA has since released its own statement refuting the Times report.’The article is clearly based on the journalist’s own speculation and assumptions, in an attempt to create a negative aura around the partnership agreement concluded between the MTA, Visit Malta, and Manchester United,’ the statement read.’Although the cost of the actual partnership is commercially sensitive, the figure invented by the said journalist is a complete fabrication and nowhere close to the actual committed funding, which is in line with the Malta Tourism Authority’s marketing budget.’According to the Times of Malta, a source told the newspaper that the deal was ‘directly negotiated between the MTA officials and Manchester United’s commercial arm and no agents were involved’.
Liverpool boss Klopp: We don’t have fringe players hereby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveLiverpool boss Jurgen Klopp says he has no fringe players in his squad.It’s a busy period for the European champions who will have played seven times between September 14 and October 5 before breaking off an international round of fixtures. Klopp, though, isn’t bemoaning a hectic fixture list.He told the Liverpool Echo: “We don’t have fringe players here, we only have first team players and a few young guns. We now play a lot Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday, so we will have to see about [changes].”We don’t just play a lot of football we travel a lot, but you know that. Every team has to do that, we don’t go for excuses. Other teams have difficult situations, as well, it is like that.”You want to play Champions League, desperately and then it starts, you don’t say ‘oh my God, look at all these games’ that makes no sense. It is good.”The cup competitions are really nice and I am sure it will be a tough game against MK Dons because they are obviously pretty good as well. It will be interesting. We live for that so we should use these opportunities.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
With these announcements, the B.C. Liberals say Premier John Horgan has been ignoring their calls for his Government to take action on this growing issue.According to the Liberals, Finance Minister Carole James announced that the Government would not be providing any new funding to the forest sector but only offer their sympathies to the affected workers.The Liberals blame the NDP for the closures because of the new Forest Amendment Act, Bill-22.Local Conservative M.P., Bob Zimmer, says he, along with other Conservative M.P.’s from B.C., has been briefed on the situation.Zimmer adds that the federal Liberal and provincial NDP governments are not doing enough when it comes to supporting the industry and its workers.“In these uncertain times, it looks as though this may just be the beginning, which is why I, along with other Conservative Members of Parliament from British Columbia, have been briefed on these closures and curtailments and possible next steps. It is clear that both the federal Liberal government and provincial NDP government are simply not doing enough to support this important industry and its workers.” FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Frustration continues to build within the B.C. Forest industry as more mills announce closures and curtailments.To date, there have been about 50 sawmills and plants that have announced curtailments or closures this year.Most recently, the Peace Valley OSB Plant announced that it will be closing this summer and the Taylor Pulp Mill has issued more production curtailments. Last week, Minister of Forests, Doug Donaldson, said his Government will be sending a Community Response Transition Team to assist those affected by the closure.
Kolkata: Sent into bat, Kolkata Knight Riders scored 161 for eight against Chennai Super Kings in the Indian Premier League (IPL) here Sunday. Brief scores: Kolkata Knight Riders: 161/8 in 20 overs (Chris Lynn 82; Imran Tahir 4/27).
Kolkata: Under-fire skipper Dinesh Karthik silenced his critics with a career-best 97 not out as Kolkata Knight Riders recovered from an atrocious start to post a competitive 175 for six against Rajasthan Royals in their must-win IPL fixture here on Thursday. Under pressure to perform after a string of five straight defeats, the World Cup-bound Karthik promoted himself to No. 4, shrugging off criticism, and smashed nine sixes and seven fours in his 50-ball unbeaten knock, as KKR hit top gear in the back end of the innings, scoring 126 from the last 10 overs and 75 off the last five overs. On a day their impact player Andre Russell looked lacklustre in his run-a-ball 14, in which he was dropped twice, it was a one-man show from Karthik who went berserk against the likes of Jaydev Unadkat and Shreyas Gopal. Karthik seized the momentum in the 11th over when he hit Shreyas Gopal for a six followed by three boundaries in an over that yielded 25 runs and KKR did not look back since then. Karthik completed his fifty from 35 balls and smashed Jofra Archer for successive sixes in the penultimate over before bettering his previous best of 86 when he went berserk against Unadkat by hitting him for two sixes and one four in the final over. Unadkat conceded 50 runs for his one wicket and was the most expensive of the lot as he undid all the good work done by Varun Aaron (2/20) who had a fine new ball spell of 3-1-10-2. Put in to bat, KKR got off to an atrocious start to be 32/2 in powerplay overs against an all out pace attack from Rajasthan Royals. Playing his only second match this season, Aaron extracted pace and swing from the fast-paced Eden track and removed both the openers Chris Lynn (0) and Shubman Gill (14) cheaply. Aaron set up Lynn brilliantly with his first two balls before bowling a delivery that sharply came back as the Australian played it on to his stumps in a wicket-maiden first over. Then the talented Gill had no answer to negotiate an inswinger as he was completely beaten by pace to see the ball clip his bails. Archer capped a superb powerplay for Royals with another maiden as the dispirited KKR found themselves going nowhere and seemed to be losing the plot before skipper Karthik revived them at the back end of the innings. Brief scores: Kolkata Knight Riders 175/6 in 20 overs (Dinesh Karthik 97, Varun Aaron 2/20) vs Rajasthan Royals.