SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – A young man accused of opening fire inside a Poway synagogue on the last day of Passover with an AR-15-style assault rifle, killing a woman and injuring three other people, including the congregation’s rabbi, is set to be arraigned Tuesday on murder and attempted murder charges.John T. Earnest, 19, of Rancho Penasquitos, is also charged with arson of a house of worship for allegedly trying to burn down an Escondido mosque last month. He allegedly took responsibility for setting the March 23 non- injury fire at the Islamic Center of Escondido in a nine-page manifesto posted online before Saturday’s synagogue shooting.John T. Earnest appears for his arraignment hearing Tuesday, April 30, 2019, in San Diego. Earnest faces charges of murder and attempted murder in the April 27 assault on the Chabad of Poway synagogue, which killed one woman and injured three people, including the rabbi. (Nelvin C. Cepeda/The San Diego Union-Tribune via AP, Pool)The Poway shooting occurred exactly six months after a shooting rampage at a Pittsburgh synagogue, where 11 people were gunned down.Synagogue members walk outside of the Chabad of Poway Synagogue Saturday, April 27, 2019, in Poway, Calif. Several people were injured in a shooting at the synagogue. (AP Photo/Denis Poroy)The hate crime allegations filed in connection with the attack at Chabad of Poway make Earnest eligible for the death penalty, should prosecutors decide to pursue it. Earnest, a nursing student at Cal State San Marcos, remains in custody without bail.“On behalf of the members of the San Diego County District Attorney’s Office, our hearts go out to the victims of the Chabad of Poway shooting,” District Attorney Summer Stephan said. “We offer our condolences for the loss of precious life and the violence that fell upon members of the Jewish congregation, gathered to celebrate the end of Passover.“All of San Diego County law enforcement is working to investigate this crime,” the county’s top prosecutor said. “We do not tolerate attacks based on religion in San Diego County. Our specialized prosecutors and our victim advocates are working around the clock alongside Sheriff (Bill) Gore and partner agencies to ensure justice is carried out and that victims are provided support and know how to successfully navigate the criminal justice system.”The gunfire erupted at 11:20 a.m. Saturday as about 100 people were celebrating the eight-day Jewish festival of Passover. Lori Gilbert Kaye, 60, died at the scene, and the three surviving victims, Rabbi Yisroel Goldstein, 57, Almog Peretz, 34, and his 8-year-old niece, Noya Dahan, were treated at hospitals and have since been released.Goldstein said Kaye, a longtime member of the congregation that he founded in 1986, was at the temple with her physician husband and daughter to honor her mother, who recently died. He told reporters on Sunday that Kaye “took the bullet for all of us,” though he did not see her get shot and could not confirm the account of at least one person who said she purposely came between the shooter and her rabbi.Goldstein lost his right index finger in the shooting and underwent surgery as medical personnel worked to save another of his digits.Peretz was shot in a leg while shepherding children to safety. His niece was struck by shrapnel in her face and leg.The shooter’s gun apparently malfunctioned sometime during the attack, according to San Diego County’s sheriff. An off-duty Border Patrol agent working as a security guard was inside the temple when the shooting began, and he opened fire as the suspect fled, Gore said. The agent did not strike Earnest, but did hit the suspect’s car, authorities said.Police said Earnest called 911 a short time later and said he had been involved in the shooting. A San Diego police officer who had been en route to the synagogue spotted the suspect’s vehicle and pulled him over nearby, San Diego Police Department Chief David Nisleit said. Earnest got out of his vehicle with his hands up, and was taken into custody without further incident, Nisleit said.Though he allegedly shouted anti-Semitic slurs during the rampage, Earnest is not believed to be part of an organized hate group, according to law enforcement officials.“We believe he acted alone and without outside support in carrying out the attack,” a sheriff’s department statement says.In the “open letter” that authorities allege he posted online shortly before the shooting, the author espouses flagrant anti-Semitic sentiments and a need to protect the “European race.” He wrote that he spent four weeks planning the attack, citing his “disgust” for Jews and a desire to kill them, and expressed admiration for the Australian white nationalist who attacked two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, last month, killing 50 people.The writer also claims responsibility for the March 23 fire set at the Dar-ul-Arqam Mosque, also known as Islamic Center of Escondido. The 3:15 a.m. fire was quickly extinguished by people inside the mosque. Graffiti left on the building made reference to the mosques attacks in Christchurch.Earnest’s family issued a statement Monday saying they were “shocked and deeply saddened by the terrible attack on the Chabad of Poway synagogue. But our sadness pales in comparison to the grief and anguish our son has caused for so many innocent people. He has killed and injured the faithful who were gathered in a sacred place on a sacred day. To our great shame, he is now part of the history of evil that has been perpetrated on Jewish people for centuries.”The family’s statement said Earnest’s apparent hateful attitudes had been “informed by people we do not know and ideas we do not hold.”“Like our other five children, he was raised in a family, a faith and a community that all rejected hate and taught that love must be the motive for everything we do,” they stated. “How our son was attracted to such darkness is a terrifying mystery to us, though we are confident that law enforcement will uncover many details of the path that he took to this evil and despicable act.”Funeral services for Kaye were held at the congregation Monday afternoon. Goldstein told the overflow crowd attending the service the shooting would not keep the congregation down.“What we are going to take from this event is (that) it’s not going to knock us down,” he said. “It’s going to lift us up.” The San Diego County District Attorney’s office holds a news conference after the Poway synagogue shooter plead not guilty to murder and attempted murder charges. John T. Earnest, 19, remains jailed without bail and is due back in court May 30. The news conference can be seen below. KUSI Newsroom, Updated: 1:30 PM Categories: California News, Local San Diego News, National & International News Tags: John Earnest, Poway Shooting April 30, 2019 The arraignment was streamed live on the KUSI News Facebook page. If you missed it, you can watch it below. KUSI Newsroom Man accused in fatal Poway synagogue shooting arraigned in court on murder charge Members Of Synagogue Arrive At Courthouse To Face The Killer. Arraignment To Begin Shortly. Stay Tuned. KUSI pic.twitter.com/eVbZDFW0YN— Dan Plante (@DanPlanteKUSI) April 30, 2019 Posted: April 30, 2019 FacebookTwitter
AirAsia India is planning to launch red-eye flights – that operate between midnight to the wee hours – in its summer schedule. The flights would connect metros and non-metros.The move would see air fares dip. AirAsia IndiaFacebook/ Air Asia IndiaThe airline will have to wait longer to be able to fly to Delhi, as regulatory uncertainties have delayed its planned start of operations from 16 February.AirAsia India is a partnership between AirAsia Bhd, owning 49 per cent stake, and Tata Sons, holding 30 per cent, while the rest is being held by Arun Bhatia of Telestra Tradeplace Pvt Ltd.CEO of the company, Mittu Chandilya, said the timing of the red-eye flights would be determined by the government’s decision on the 5/20 rule, which mandates a domestic airline to operate domestically for atleast five years, and hold a 20 aircraft fleet, TimesofIndia reports.AirAsia India plans to induct another plane every month from March. It expects break-even bu May-June, when the fleet has had expanded to six planes.
A Bangladeshi man was convicted for trafficking his wife in India, along with the owner of the hotel where she was used for prostitution, reports Times of India.The man allegedly had sold his wife to the hotel-owner, who himself raped her and later used her for sex trade, the English-language Indian daily adds.The four-year legal battle ended on Tuesday with the convictions of the Abdul Gaffar, a Bangladeshi national convicted of trafficking and illegal immigration of his Bangladeshi wife, and the hotel-owner, Bhagyadhar Dhibar, to whom he had sold his wife.Dhibar raped the victim and later exploited her in his hotel and elsewhere. He was convicted of inducing, trafficking and abetting illegal immigration of a woman. Both were sentenced to seven years’ imprisonment. The victim has been repatriated to Bangladesh.Chief judicial magistrate Kundan Kumar Kumai of the City Sessions Court passed the order, convicting Gaffar under Sections 366B and 370 of the IPC and Section 14C of Foreigners Act of India.The charges include punishment for “importation” of a woman from a foreign country and trafficking her for the purpose of prostitution. Dhibar was convicted under Sections 366, 366B, 370 and 120B of the IPC. The charges against him include luring into illicit sexual act.Police said the case dates back to 1 September 2013 when officials from Immoral trafficking section of the detective department were alerted by a member of NGO Durbar Mahila Samanyay Committee. The NGO had found the woman in the custody of a man in the red-light area of Sonagachi.Acting on the tip-off, police rescued the woman and arrested Gaffar. Dhibar was arrested two days later.Police found that Gaffar had wooed the woman and told her that he had a job in India. On reaching Kolkata, he sold her to Dhibar, who himself raped her and had eight or nine men rape her in his own hotel and in brothels of Sonagachi as well. Gaffar would also surface, and bring in “customers” for his wife.The woman was brought to International Justice Mission (IJM) and provided legal support and counselling. Saji Philip, director of operation, IJM, which is a global human rights organisation working for victims of violence, said, “This case is utterly inhuman because the culprit is her own husband.”Marie Riba, the woman’s advocate, said, “The victims of human trafficking are real, and like us they have every right to seek justice. The public need to know that those who rob them of those rights will be severely punished.” She said the victim has been sent to her Bangladesh home and efforts are on to reintegrate her in society.
Patrick Smith/Getty ImagesFormer President George H.W. Bush arrives for the coin toss for the 2017 Super Bowl in Houston.Family spokesman Jim McGrath said former President George H.W. Bush will remain hospitalized at least another day, but that doctors “are very pleased with his progress.”President @GeorgeHWBush will remain in @MethodistHosp today as he continues to regain strength. His doctors are very pleased with his progress.— Jim McGrath (@jgm41) May 2, 2018Bush was admitted April 22 to Houston Methodist Hospital, the day after his wife’s funeral. He’s being treated for an infection that spread to his blood.McGrath said Wednesday that the 93-year-old Bush “continues to regain strength.”McGrath has said Bush hopes to travel next month to his family’s home in Maine, where he spends the summers.Bush has a form of Parkinson’s disease and a history of pneumonia and other infections.He was hospitalized after attending the funeral and burial of his 92-year-old wife, Barbara, who died April 17 at their Houston home. Share