ONE: Eustaquio puts Moraes on crosshairs

first_imgLATEST STORIES Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award The Team Lakay member was riding a two-fight win streak before he lost to Mikinho via guillotine choke 3:54 into the second round.“That loss has taught me a lot, ever since then I have worked extensively in improving in all areas,” said Eustaquio. “I have worked extremely hard to get to this point because deep inside, I knew we would meet again. Now I can finally give him a better fight.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next MOST READ China population now over 1.4 billion as birthrate falls Since then, Moraes has become a two-time champion while Eustaquio the current interim champion after beating Kairat Akhmetov in January.And Eustaquio wants nothing more than to beat Moraes and become the undisputed flyweight champion.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown“Winning the World title is a dream come true for me, ever since I started my professional career the goal was to be a World champion,” said Eustaquio. “Now that goal is a reality.”Eustaquio (10-6) admitted that even though it’s been more than three years since his defeat to Moraes, the sting of the loss still haunts him to this day. Winfrey details her decision to withdraw from Simmons film Nabong gets biggest fine for GlobalPort-Rain or Shine melee ONE Flyweight Champion Adriano Moraes and ONE Interim Flyweight Champion Geje Eustaquio face off. Photo from ONE Championship.Geje Eustaquio and Adriano Moraes has had an interesting rivalry inside the ONE Championship cage, and on June 23 the two will face off once for all the marbles.The two fighters last met in September 2014 when Moraes submitted Eustaquio to become ONE’s inaugural World flyweight champion.ADVERTISEMENT Jury of 7 men, 5 women selected for Weinstein rape trialcenter_img Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Dave Chappelle donates P1 million to Taal relief operations Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View commentslast_img read more

“Another blow to the working-class” – Jagdeo

first_imgClosure of LBI operationsCriticisms are already being piled on the A Partnership for National Unity/Alliance For Change (APNU/AFC) coalition Government as the Guyana Sugar Corporation (GuySuCo) announced plans to close the La Bonne Intention (LBI) Sugar estate later this year. This is the second factory to suffer this fate since the coalition took office last May.Opposition Leader Bharrat JagdeoThe Guyana Agricultural and General Workers Union (GAWU) and the National Association of Agricultural, Commercial and Industrial Employees (NAACIE) on Thursday released a joint statement announcing that they were informed by GuySuCo on Tuesday that the remaining facilities at the LBI estate will be closed during the course of 2016.During the discussions, GuySuCo informed the Unions that it will close half the operations of the Field Workshop, Mill Dock, Field Lab, Stores and Administrative Offices that are based at the LBI estate and merge them with similar operations at the Enmore Estate.Reacting to this news, Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo described the decision by Government to close the estate as “another act that reflects the secretive approach that is characteristic of the APNU/AFC Government, in relation to decisions that affect the lives of thousands of ordinary Guyanese.”“In the last year, we have come to expect that the Government will make decisions that affect the Guyanese people in a manner that lacks transparency and without consultations,” Jagdeos aid.He reminded of his warning of the “callous and uncaring decision” by the APNU/AFC Administration, saying the closure of the Wales Sugar Estate was not the end of the ‘reform’ proposed and being advanced by APNU/AFC in the sugar industry.“I had said that the Wales Estate was the first casualty. I am deeply disturbed by the news of this impending closure. Hundreds of workers will be affected,” Jagdeo said in his statement.He added that his People’s Progressive Party/Civic (PPP/C) will stand by the sugar workers to fight this decision by the 10-month-old coalition Government.In 2011, GuySuCo under the PPP/C Administration, had closed the LBI Sugar Factory, however, the Corporation had assured that the other operations of the Estate will remain functioning.The workers were merged with those from the Enmore Estate.However, at the time of that closure, the workers and their Unions were assured that there will be no closure of any other department after the closure of the factory.Already, Government announced its decision to close the Wales Sugar Estate and transfer the workers to the Uitvlugt operations.There have been widespread protests and industry-wide strike actions against the move in an effort to build pressure on the Administration to rescind this decision; however, it has not budged to date.last_img read more

ECD joiner dies after crashing

first_imgA father of six was on Thursday evening killed after he crashed allegedly into a parked vehicle at Good Hope, East Coast Demerara. The collision, which occurred at about 20:00h resulted in the death of KaramchandDead: Karamchand “Bobby” Singh“Bobby” Singh, 44, of Lot 576 Block 8, Mon Repos, ECD.According to reports, the man was heading home from a nephew’s birthday party at Lusignan, ECD when he met his demise.Guyana Times understands Singh was riding along the Railway Embankment Highway and in the vicinity of Good Hope koker, he lost control of his motorcycle CG 4185 and slammed into a parked X-Trail bearing registration PSS 9646.He sustained severe injuries and was taken to the Georgetown Public Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival. At the home of the dead man on Friday, his daughter Indira Budhu explained that her stepfather left home on Thursday afternoon to attend a birthday party of his nephew.She noted that family was at home when they received a phone call from a relative informing them that Singh was involved in an accident. Without hesitation, she, her mother and a few family members rushed to the scene but by that time he was already taken to GPH.While at the scene, she added, the vehicle was parked in the middle of the road and her father’s mangled motorcycle was in a corner.“When I reach, meh stepfather cousin told we that the driver of the pickup say he de park in the corner when meh stepfather slam into (he vehicle).” Budhu added that no one was there to substantiate the claims made by the man. However, she left the scene and went to the hospital where she saw Singh lying on a bed in a motionless state.When asked if her stepfather might have been under the influence of alcohol at the time of the accident, Budhu noted that she was told that he had two bottles of beer. She noted that her stepfather was very loving and took care of them as if they were his own.Budhu further stated that her mother is devastated and has to be consoled by relatives. She is trying to come to grips with the reality.The driver of the other vehicle was taken into custody and is assisting with investigations. (Bhisham Mohamed)last_img read more

House Ratifies US$20M Loan for Gbarnga-Salayea Road

first_imgPartial view of lawmakers approving a loan agreement for the reconstruction of the highway between Gbarnga and Salayea.Members of the House of Representatives have ratified the Loan Agreement signed between the Saudi Fund for Development (SFD) and the Republic of Liberia for the construction of the Gbarnga (Bong County) – Salayea (Lofa County) road.The loan is seventy-five million (75,000,000) Saudi Riyals, which is equivalent to US$20 million.The Lawmakers approved the financial deal yesterday according to a report from the Joint Committee of Ways, Means, Finance and Development Planning, Foreign Affairs and Judiciary.The project, upon its completion, will provide expanded road connectivity to rural parts of the country and will boost Liberia’s development agenda by stimulating economic activities through easy access of goods and services. It will also facilitate the free movement of people across the country.The Liberian government has agreed to secure a loan of US$12 million from the Arab Bank for Development in Africa (BADEA), and has already received US$15.5 million from the Kuwait Fund for Arab Economic Development; US$20m from the OPEC Fund and US$15 million from the Abu Dhabi Fund, according to the report from the joint Committee.In a letter requesting the House to ratify the Loan Agreement, President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf said the loan is critical and aims to develop an existing gravel/length road of approximately 81km length with a width of 7.5 million that connects Bong and Lofa counties, as well as improve accessibility and reduce travel costs for residents of the affected counties.The Government of Liberia shall pay interest at the rate of one percent (1%) per annum on the principle amount of the loan withdrawn and outstanding. Interest and other charges shall be paid semi-annually, according to the Agreement.The term of the loan is 30 years, including a 10-year grace period. The government will repay the principal amount of the loan in accordance with Amortization Schedule set forth in Schedule No.3 to the Agreement.The Agreement is in support of the government’s overall development agenda, the President said.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Albouystown teen slapped with gun possession charge

first_imgAn Albouystown, Georgetown resident was on Tuesday arraigned on a charge of illegal firearm possession when he appeared before a city magistrate at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts.Eighteen-year-old Akelo Nurse, of Lot 273 Independence Boulevard, Georgetown, pleaded not guilty to the charge when it was read to him by Magistrate Sherdel Isaacs-Marcus.Although Police Prosecutor Adunni Inniss did not object to bail, she requested that conditions be applied.Nurse was then granted bail in the sum of $100,000 under the condition that he lodge his travel document (passport) and report to the Brickdam Police Station every Friday until investigations into the matter are completed.The teen is expected to make his next court appearance on February 18, 2019.last_img read more

FBI national security abuse issue has politicians steamed

first_imgWASHINGTON – House Republicans joined Democrats on Tuesday in warning the FBI that it could lose the power to demand that companies turn over customers’ telephone, e-mail and financial records if it did not swiftly correct abuses in the use of national security letters, the investigative tool that allows the bureau to make such demands without a judge’s approval. The warnings came at a hearing of the House Judiciary Committee into a recent report by the Justice Department’s inspector-general, Glenn A. Fine. The report found that the FBI had repeatedly violated the rules governing the letters, sometimes by invoking emergency procedures to exercise them when there was no emergency, and had bungled record-keeping so badly that the number of letters exercised was often understated when the bureau reported on them to Congress. “I just want to convey to you how upset many of us are who have defended this program and have believed it is necessary to the protection of our country,” Rep. Dan Lungren, R-Calif., told Valerie E. Caproni, the bureau’s general counsel. If the handling of national security letters is not improved soon, added Lungren, a former California attorney general, the bureau will not “have to worry about improving your procedures for NSLs because you probably won’t have NSL authority.” 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., said he was “shocked” by the bureau’s transgressions and suggested that they might have broken the law. “If what was done was done by a private-sector individual, wouldn’t the FBI be arresting them?” Issa asked. “Wouldn’t the U.S. attorneys be prosecuting people who played fast and loose with these rules?” Fine replied that the question of whether laws were broken “depends on the intent involved and what happened.” He said that while his investigation had found sweeping problems resulting from “mistakes, carelessness, confusion, sloppiness, lack of training, lack of adequate guidance and lack of adequate oversight,” it had not found proof of deliberate wrongdoing. Caproni did not take issue with the findings. “I can tell you that we’ve had a lot of soul-searching at the FBI” since the inspector-general placed “an F on our report card,” she said. Caproni said officials of the bureau believed that the problems might result in part from the secrecy that cloaks the use of national security letters, which are exercised most often in counterterrorism investigations.last_img read more

Driver in fatal collision identified as 78 year old Dawson Creek resident

first_imgDawson Creek RCMP, along with B.C. Ambulance Services, and Dawson Creek Fire and Rescue tended to the scene where the 78 year old individual was the lone occupant of the pick-up truck. The individual was travelling to Dawson Creek when it struck a southbound van.The three occupants of the van were all transported to hospital. The driver in the van needed to be extricated from the vehicle.The highway was closed for a few hours as police investigated. RCMP are not releasing the name of the individual. Neither speed or alcohol are considered to be factors in the incident.- Advertisement –last_img read more

On loan star tells Aston Villa: ‘I want to stay’

first_img Scott Sinclair is ready to commit his future Aston Villa 1 Scott Sinclair is ready to commit his future Aston Villa.The winger, currently on loan at Villa Park from Manchester City, wants to stay in the Midlands when his deal expires at the end of the season.Sinclair joined Villa in January and has scored three goals in ten games, including two in three outings during their run to the FA Cup final.The 26-year-old played as a late substitute in Sunday’s 2-1 semi-final win over Liverpool to set up a meeting with Arsenal in the final.He is yet to hold talks over his future but wants to stay beyond the Wembley showdown with the Gunners.“Definitely, I feel at home at Villa, it’s a great club, I’m sure at the end of the season we can sit down and I can sign,” he said.“I just have to wait until the end of the season.”last_img read more

Americans observe Veterans Day

first_img Trevino, who worked for the Veterans Administration and in Los Angeles County’s veterans affairs office before retirement, served in the U.S. Air Force from 1973 to 1975. This Veterans Day took on extra significance because it was the first since the death of his grandfather, Rudy Alex Westley, a World War II veteran who fought in Europe with Gen. George S. Patton’s army, Trevino said. World War II veterans like his grandfather played a big role in making the United States what it is today, Trevino added. “The World War II veterans, that’s the generation that did so much for our nation,” he said. But not everyone was upbeat Friday. Ruben Trejo, commander of Disabled American Veterans Chapter 39, departed from his prepared speech to read a message from a national DAV official who said that federal budgets for veterans services have failed in recent years to keep up with inflation. Thousands of veterans have been denied access to Veterans Administration facilities because of budget shortfalls, and proposals to reduce or restrict veterans services are common, Trejo said. “They shouldn’t have to fight their own government after fighting our nation’s enemies,” Trejo said. Charles F. Bostwick, (661) 267-5742 chuck.bostwick@dailynews.com 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! PALMDALE – Bugle calls, prayers and 21-gun salutes recognized American veterans in ceremonies at Lancaster and Palmdale cemeteries. At Palmdale’s Desert Lawn Memorial Park, Veterans Day speakers urged the audience to pray for American military personnel and their families and to encourage elected officials to support veterans not just in words but in actions. “Our veterans past and present should be honored not just today but every day,” said Henry Weaver, governor of the Palmdale Moose Lodge. Veterans and civic leaders also spoke Friday at ceremonies at Lancaster Cemetery and at Joshua Memorial Park in Lancaster. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week After the Desert Lawn ceremony, the Palmdale Veterans Color Guard assembled again at the nearby Palmdale Cemetery to fire a rifle salute over graves dating back to the 1880s, including those of a number of veterans. The Palmdale ceremonies drew Cub Scouts, veterans and family. Among the veterans was 87-year-old Pat Murray, a woman Marine who was a parachute rigger during World War II. She placed a commemorative wreath during the ceremony. “This is a day to honor all the veterans who served and are serving our country,” said Bobby Breech, commander of American Legion Post 348 in Palmdale. Other veterans were in the audience. “I try to make it every year,” said Tony Trevino, a disabled veteran watching the Desert Lawn ceremony. last_img read more

Football Partners with USA Football To Host Free Youth Clinic

first_imgREGISTRATION: https://bit.ly/2L8lybkCreate account, click register for event and then complete the registration process. USA Football’s First Down Tour introduces kids to football. Join us for a FREE Clinic hosted by Drake football players before the game for kids ages 4 -14. All participants will receive a FREE T-SHIRT and a FREE TICKET to the Drake football game against Truman State. REGISTER Story Links Football Clinic Flyer center_img 1:30 PM Check-In Opens2:30 PM Clinic Begins4:00 PM Clinic Concludes4:30 PM Fun Zone Opens (inflatables and other games)6:00 PM Game time!Questions? Email spike@drake.edu  Print Friendly Version The Drake University football program and USA Football will host a FREE football clinic Saturday, Sept. 7 at Drake Stadium prior to the program’s home opener against Truman State presented by Unity Point Clinic that evening at 6 p.m.last_img read more