LONDON: Chelsea winger Callum Hudson-Odoi, who became the first Premier League player to test positive for the coronavirus, is making ‘great progress’ in his recovery, manager Frank Lampard said.The 19-year-old’s positive test last week had prompted the London club to partially close their Cobham training center, with the first-team squad and coaching staff asked for self-isolate as a precaution.“I’m happy to say that in Callum’s case, he has made great progress and almost feels his usual self, which is obviously the news we all want to hear,” Lampard told the club’s website.“I’m aware that not everyone can or will recover from this virus, so I urge the football and sporting community to continue to act responsibly and look out for the health of others.”Chelsea said their training facility had been reopened for those who did not have recent close contact with Hudson-Odoi.The league has been suspended until April 4 because of the outbreak that has virtually shut down world sport.Globally, the flu-like virus has infected over 190,000 people and killed more than 7,500.“We still don’t know when competitive football will restart, but it isn’t worth worrying about that too much at the moment,” Lampard added.“We all miss football but right now it’s about acting responsibly and in the best interests of society.” (Agencies)Also Read: Arsenal’s Mikel Arteta, Callum of Chelsea test positiveAlso Watch: KMSS leader Akhil Gogoi granted bail as NIA fails to submit charge-sheet
Published on November 20, 2016 at 9:56 pm Contact Matthew: [email protected] | @MatthewGut21 No. 8 seed Syracuse will host No. 9 seed North Carolina on Sunday, Nov. 27 at 2 p.m. at SU Soccer Stadium in the NCAA tournament Sweet 16. Should the Orange (12-3-4, 3-2-3 Atlantic Coast) win, it will host an Elite Eight game against unseeded Creighton or Providence, which advanced past No. 1 Maryland.In its first game in two weeks, SU beat Dartmouth, 3-0, Sunday afternoon. Sergio Camargo tallied two goals and an assist after an early Chris Nanco score to dominate the Big Green and keep its season alive past Thanksgiving for the third consecutive year. The Orange had fallen to Clemson on penalty kicks in the ACC tournament two weeks earlier.UNC (12-3-3, 5-1-2) beat Florida Gulf Coast, 2-1, in double overtime to get a date with Syracuse. The Tar Heels have won only two of their last five games. SU played UNC to a scoreless tie at home in September.Barring the defeat at the hands Clemson in penalty kicks, which is recorded as a tie, the Orange has not lost since Oct. 7, a seven-game span. During that stretch, SU has tied three top-10 teams and beaten a top-15 team. The College Cup, soccer’s version of the Final Four, is Dec. 9 and 11. Comments AdvertisementThis is placeholder text Facebook Twitter Google+
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest By Dusty Sonnenberg, CCA, Ohio Field LeaderAnytime the words “invasive species” are used to describe a new pest, people take notice. That is the hope when it comes to the brown marmorated stink bug. Kelley Tilmon, Ohio State University Extension entomologist, hopes farmers will take advantage of the new Stink Bugs pocket guide and quick reference card. The new pocket guide and quick reference cards were produced with funding from the North Central Soybean Research Program and the Ohio Soybean Council and the soybean checkoff. Stink bugs are pests that may decrease soybean yields and quality significantly without proper management. “The good news it this is a manageable pest,” Tilmon said. “Most of our pyrethroid insecticides are effective against stink bugs. The use of organophosphates is not generally recommended.” Stink bugs attack soybeans by inserting their piercing and sucking mouthparts directly into the pod and developing seed. “In essence, they feed on the good stuff that the seed needs to develop,” Tilmon said. “In fields where stink bug infestations are severe, yield losses above 20 bushels per acre have been realized. There has been over a 50% loss in seed quality in those same fields.” From a quality standpoint, pods impacted will appear to be flat where the seeds were fed on. As the pod matures and dries down, those affected seeds will appear shriveled and discolored. Depending on the stage of the soybean at the time of feeding, they may even be aborted. Another concern when it comes to yield is the potential for green stem syndrome. Green stem syndrome occurs when soybean plants stay green at the time when the leaves should be maturing (turning yellow) and dropping to the ground. This results in delayed maturity. The predominant thought is that green stem syndrome is caused by disease, insect feeding (such as stink bugs), and environmental stress during the reproductive stages of the plant. “Awareness of the pest is the first step. You will not typically notice damage by simply walking the field. Scouting involves the use of a sweep net,” Tilmon said. The economic threshold is an average of four stinkbugs in 10 sweeps for commodity soybeans. That threshold drops to an average of two stinkbugs per 10 sweeps if the beans are for seed production. Tilmon recommends scouting when soybeans are at the R3 stage of development to create a baseline. Scouting should continue throughout the remainder of the growing season. There are a variety of problematic stink bugs found in Ohio. “While the brown marmorated stink bug is the invasive species, other common species include the green stink bug, redshouldered stink bug, brown stink bug, dusky stink bug, and onespotted stink bug. All these can cause damage to soybeans,” Tilmon said. Tilmon reminds growers that if a treatment is warranted for stink bugs, to keep in mind that the later we get in the season, pre-harvest intervals could come into play. “Applicators should be sure to check the product label for the respective pre-harvest interval that must be followed,” Tilmon said.There are also beneficial stink bugs in Ohio. The two-spotted stink bug and spined shouldered bug are predatory species. These are the good bugs,” Tilmon said. Currently a good deal of stink bug and general entomology research is being conducted in Ohio and the surrounding states. The North Central Soybean Research Program is funding studies of the various beneficial insects that exist. Parasitoid wasps attach the eggs of stink bugs and ladybugs will feed on the stink bug eggs. Entomologists are investigating the release of beneficial insects found in Asia where the brown marmorated stink bug is native. There is also research being conducted investigating potential soybean variety susceptibility and traits.Ohio Field Leader is a project of the Ohio Soybean Council. For more, visit ohiofieldleader.com.
It was a sunny day for the finals of the Australian Defence Force Touch Association (ADFTA) Nationals held in Newcastle.The 21 teams competing in the 2013 instalment of the ADFTA Nationals can now enjoy a well-deserved rest, after four days of competition between the seven Constituent Bodies.In the Men’s 40’s division, ACT Country, led by their captain and Australian representative John Samin, took out the trophy in the final, 7 – 3, against South Queensland.The Men’s 30’s division saw ACT Country winning again, 6 – 2, against North Queensland.The South Queensland Women’s Open won with class, 8 – 2, against their neighbours from North Queensland.The Men’s Open was again an all-Queensland affair, with South Queensland taking the Grand Final Trophy for the third year in a row, despite a great opposition from a strong North Queensland side, 10 – 7.The referees of the Men’s Open Grand Final were Brenton Turner, Craig McKee and Paul Edmonton.South Queensland was awarded the Champions Shield, and ACT Country most improved Constituent Body. Full results are available on the ADFTA website – http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=14-6027-0-0-0&sID=83287.Congratulations to all participants. The ADFTA is now looking forward to the 2014 X-Blades National Touch League to compete against the best teams across the country.Related LinksDefence Nationals
WASHINGTON – Warning of economic fallout, congressional Republicans and industry groups pressed President Donald Trump on Tuesday to narrow his plan for across-the-board tariffs on imports of steel and aluminum. Trump appeared unmoved, declaring, “Trade wars aren’t so bad.”The president said he planned to move forward with special tariffs on imported steel and aluminum, contending the U.S. has long been “mistreated” in trade deals.“We’re doing tariffs on steel. We cannot lose our steel industry. It’s a fraction of what it once was. And we can’t lose our aluminum industry,” Trump said during a joint news conference with Swedish Prime Minister Stefan Lofven.Hours later, White House economic adviser Gary Cohn, who has opposed the tariffs, announced his plans to depart the White House, another signal that the president intends to go through with the penalties.The president’s pledge for action, which would be in line with a one of his campaign promises, came after House Speaker Paul Ryan of Wisconsin called for a “more surgical approach” that would help avert a potentially dangerous trade war. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky said there was concern Trump’s plan could lead to such disruptive turmoil.“We are urging caution,” McConnell said.Republican Sen. David Perdue of Georgia, who opposes the tariffs, said after meeting Tuesday with White House chief of staff John Kelly that the administration was willing to consider his views. “Absolutely. There’s an openness now,” Perdue said.“I think there’s been a step back,” said Sen. Pat Roberts, R-Kan. “I don’t think he’s reconsidering, but I think he’s trying to figure out what his best step is forward.”But those views sounded more like wishful thinking after Trump’s news conference, in which he reiterated his plans to impose the tariffs of 25 per cent on steel imports and 10 per cent on aluminum imports. He said he’d respond to unfair treatment by foreign countries and huge trade deficits. “We’re going to straighten it out and we’ll do it in a very loving way,” Trump said.The president also reaffirmed the possibility that Canada and Mexico might not face the tariffs if they are willing to offer more favourable terms under the North American Free Agreement, which is being renegotiated.Senior White House adviser Jared Kushner and staff from the State Department and National Security Council will be meeting Wednesday with Mexico’s president and foreign minister in Mexico City.Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin told lawmakers Trump was trying to balance protections for beleaguered steel and aluminum producers while “making sure that we don’t do undue harm to the economy.”“We are not looking to get into trade wars. We are looking to make sure that U.S. companies can compete fairly around the world,” Mnuchin said at a House hearing.Trump has been keenly aware of how the tariffs may play in a March 13 special House election in western Pennsylvania, part of the nation’s steel belt, White House officials have said. The president is headlining a Saturday rally in support of Rick Saccone, who is battling Democrat Conor Lamb in the Republican-leaning district.The dispute over tariffs has exposed a rift between advocates of free trade, who have long dominated GOP circles, and a president who has railed against China and pushed for more protectionist trade policies.Internally, White House officials who oppose the blanket tariffs have urged the administration to limit the countries that would be affected and to impose time limits. This would help the president say he delivered on his promise and still try to avoid possible negative consequences, said Stephen Moore, a former campaign adviser and now an economist with the conservative Heritage Foundation.Republicans in Congress and within Trump’s administration say industries and their workers who need steel and aluminum for their products would be hurt by Trump’s threatened tariffs. They say Americans will face higher costs for new cars, appliances and buildings if the president follows through on his threat and other nations retaliate.Trump has said the tariffs are needed to preserve the American industries and protect national security. But he has also tried to use them as leverage in the current talks to revise NAFTA.Business leaders are mobilizing against the tariffs. The Aluminum Association, a trade group representing 114 member companies with more than 700,000 U.S. jobs, told Trump in a letter Tuesday that it was “deeply concerned” about the effects of the planned tariffs and urged him to seek alternatives such as targeting China and other countries with a history of circumventing trade rules.Ryan said Trump was correct to focus on the problem of the dumping of steel in the U.S. at lower prices. But he said the administration’s approach was “a little too broad and more prone to retaliation.”“What we’re encouraging the administration to do is to focus on what is clearly a legitimate problem and to be more surgical in its approach,” Ryan said.Republicans have suggested they may try to undercut the tariffs if Trump goes ahead with them. But Sen. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz., said he was doubtful the GOP majority would be able to muster the votes to pass legislation to block the special taxes.Flake said it was tough to dissuade Trump because the president “keeps coming back like a homing pigeon on trade deficits.”Mnuchin defended the possible tariffs, telling lawmakers that Trump “loves farmers and the farm community.” Rep. David Young, R-Iowa, responded, “It doesn’t seem so with some of the policies that are coming out.”Mnuchin said the administration hopes to release details on the tariffs this week. “He does understand the potential impacts it has on the economy and I think we have a way of managing through this,” he said.___Associated Press writers Alan Fram, Kevin Freking, Martin Crutsinger and Josh Boak in Washington contributed to this report.___Follow Ken Thomas on Twitter at https://twitter.com/KThomasDC
Chelsea’s new manager Maurizio Sarri has received a welcome boost with David Luiz insisting that he intends to remain at the clubThe Brazilian defender made just 10 Premier League appearances last season under Antonio Conte and had been expected to leave Stamford Bridge this summer.But now that Conte is gone, Luiz is looking forward to working under Sarri at Chelsea and has featured in both of the Blues’ pre-season matches.“I came back to Chelsea to stay,” said the 31-year-old, as quoted by Sky Sports.“When I took my decision to come back here from Paris it was to win the Premier League and to do something again with Chelsea, so I am very happy here.“I love Sarri’s philosophy. We play high, with a lot of possession in a technical way. He’s trying to help us every single day to learn quickly his philosophy.Maurizio Sarri satisfied despite Juventus’ draw at Fiorentina Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Maurizio Sarri was satisfied with Juventus’ performance on Saturday afternoon after finishing a tough game at Fiorentina 0-0.“A new philosophy always takes time. But it also depends on us. If we’re dedicated every day and doing things every single day in training, we’re trying to learn quickly.”Luiz is unconcerned about the prospective competition he may soon face with Chelsea reportedly chasing new centre-back before the end of the summer transfer window.He added: “It is good to have fantastic players, more than just 11.“You have many players that can play in the starting XI, so it is a positive challenge for everybody.”Luiz is currently in his second spell at Chelsea after previously leaving the London club in 2014 for a two-year spell in France with Paris Saint-Germain.
Valencia have reportedly set their sights on a surprise move for Chelsea striker Michy Batshuayi this summer, claims the Daily MirrorThe Belgium international’s future at Stamford Bridge remains in doubt, despite the fact that Antonio Conte has now left after he was restricted to just three Premier League starts under the former Italy manager.Due to his lack of opportunities in his first season at Chelsea, Batshuayi joined Borussia Dortmund on loan for the latter half of the 2017-18 season and finished with an impressive seven goals in 10 appearances.Chelsea hat-trick hero Tammy Abraham hopes for more Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Tammy Abraham hopes this season will be his big breakthrough at Chelsea after firing his first hat-trick for the club in Saturday’s 5-2 win at Wolves.But now the 24-year-old remains unsure about his future at Chelsea and is evaluating his options, despite the fact that Maurizio Sarri is now in charge of the Blues.Another factor which has made Batshuayi consider leaving Chelsea is the fact that they will be in the Europa League this season, while Valencia will be able to offer him Champions League football as well as regular playing time.Despite his injury struggles at the end of the last season, Batshuayi was a member of the Belgium World Cup and made three appearances for the national side as they finished in third-place.
The Homer Jackpot Halibut Derby is the longest running halibut fishing competition with the largest total payout in Alaska. Derby info available at: www.HomerAlaska.org/jackpot-halibut-derby.html Current Jackpot Derby leader, is Michael Eskelson of Sutton, brought in a 187.6lb 78″ fish. Michael was fishing on a private boat fishing with 40lb test weight line on a small salmon Penn reel. Derby Ticket purchased at the Sport Shed. 111 tags have been attached to halibut through Kachemak Bay, tags are worth $250, $500, $1000 with two tags big tags: Homer Charter Association tag worth $10,000 and the Homer Chamber of Commerce tag worth $25,000. Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享From mid-May to mid-September every year thousands of anglers come to Homer, “The Halibut Fishing Capitol of the World”, to fish in the Homer Jackpot Halibut Derby. The first week of the Jackpot Halibut Derby was a busy one with a 2005 and 2014 tag caught and 2 Jackpot Fish weighed in. You can purchase Derby tickets at businesses all over Homer, and tickets are required in order to participate. Winners will be announced at the September 20th Jackpot Halibut Derby Gala.