Murder Charges For Ex-Pat Hernandez

first_imgBOSTON — Former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez, already jailed in connection with a 2013 shooting death, looks forward to proving his innocence on charges that he ambushed and gunned down two men after a chance encounter inside a Boston nightclub a year earlier, his lawyers said.Hernandez has been charged with two counts of first-degree murder and other offenses in the July 2012 killings of Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado. A third man was wounded in that attack.An indictment places the gun in Hernandez’s hands weeks before he signed a five-year, $40 million contract with the Patriots and went on to catch 51 passes and score five touchdowns during the 2012 NFL season.Hernandez, 24, has pleaded not guilty in the killing last year of Odin Lloyd, 27, a semi-pro football player whose body was found in an industrial area near Hernandez’s home in North Attleborough. He was released by the Patriots last summer after being arrested in Lloyd’s death.His attorneys, Charles Rankin and James Sultan, said their client was looking forward to his day in court on the latest charges. “It is one thing to make allegations at a press conference, and another thing to prove them in a courtroom,” they said in a statement.According to Suffolk District Attorney Daniel Conley, the night of the 2012 shootings unfolded when Hernandez and an associate went into the Cure Lounge at about the same time as the other men. The prosecutor would not describe what he called their “chance encounter,” but said there was no evidence that Hernandez knew the victims beforehand.After the men left, Hernandez followed in an SUV and pulled up alongside the men as their vehicle was stopped at a red light in Boston’s South End, Conley said.“Aaron Hernandez fired a .38-caliber revolver multiple times from the driver’s side of his vehicle into the passenger’s side of the victim’s vehicle,” killing de Abreu, 29 and Furtado, 28, Conley said.The case remained unsolved for months, but following the Lloyd shooting, Conley said the SUV was found in Bristol, Connecticut, where Hernandez grew up, and the gun used in the double shooting was recovered from a person with ties to Hernandez. Previous court documents have said the vehicle was found at the home of Hernandez’s uncle.Conley would not say whether prosecutors suspected a link between the two cases beyond their accusations of Hernandez’s involvement.A spokesman for the Patriots said the team had no comment. Families of the victims in the Boston shooting have filed civil lawsuits against Hernandez seeking $6 million for the wrongful deaths of the two men.Hernandez was expected to be arraigned on the new charges in Suffolk Superior Court next week.___By Bob Salsberg. AP writer Paige Sutherland and sports writer Jimmy Golen contributed to this report.TweetPinShare0 Shareslast_img read more

United Nations Initiative Aims to Reduce the 125 Million Road Crash Deaths

first_img Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppBahamas, May 9, 2017 – Nassau – In the time it took you to read the headline of this story, a child somewhere in the world was hit and killed by a car on her way to school. “The statistics are alarming,” says David McLaughlin, FIA Project Development Director for the Caribbean. “Speed kills.    Somewhere in the world a child dies every 30 seconds as a result of a road crash.    Road accidents are the 10th leading cause of death worldwide and the 13th leading cause of death in The Bahamas.    Every year, 1.25 million people die as a result of accidents.”To put the brakes on the tragic numbers that take more than a million innocent lives a year and leave millions more injured, many severely and for life, the United Nations launched the Save Lives Slow Down movement.  This is the fourth year that the FIA, the world governing body of motor sport and sanctioned by the International Olympics Committee (IOC), has driven the UN global campaign, but the first time The Bahamas has taken part. “Given that the UN Global Road Safety Week is May 8-14 and there is a lot of other activity at this time, we are focusing efforts on spreading the message about the dangers of speeding and distracted driving.    We will also host an event at the Mall at Marathon this Saturday, May 13,” said McLaughlin, a former race driver himself and the chairman of Bahamas Motor Speedway.    Students who came through the popular EduKarting program will be on hand at the Mall with a go-kart. “The idea is for kids to write in a few words why they believe it is important to slow down. We will provide the paper and once they have penned their words, they will have the opportunity to be pictured in the kart holding their small sign, take a selfie and share it on social media. The words could be something like, ‘I slow down because all lives matter.’ We really want to encourage people to take the on-line road safety pledge which only take a few seconds and to get involved.”Participants will also be able to sign up for this summer’s EduKarting program and can find more information on the program on its Facebook page.  McLaughlin will also be a guest on Guardian Talk Radio Friday at 9 am and will address the Rotary Club of East Nassau at its luncheon meeting May 12. Among the guests expected to be on hand between 11 am and noon at the Mall is Wellington Miller, President of the Bahamas Olympic Committee. Sponsors of the Save Lives, Slow Down road safety program include JS Johnson, Oasis Furniture, Phillips Sailmakers & Awning Manufacturers, Aquapure, Rotary Club of East Nassau, Valvoline, Battery & Tyre, Bahamas Waste and Custom Computers.   last_img read more

Statues of SD Burman Kishore Kumar to come up at Southern Avenue

first_imgKolkata: Statues of two legendary musical personalities, S D Burman and Kishore Kumar, will be installed on Southern Avenue on October 1.The statues will be installed by Amit Kumar Fan Club. This was announced by Sudipta Chanda, general secretary of the club on the 89th birth anniversary of Kishore Kumar on Saturday.The Kolkata Municipal Corporation (KMC) has provided a plot where the statues will be installed.Amit Kumar Fan Club has already installed a statue of R D Burman. The statue of the duo will be installed on a plot situated opposite Nazrul Mancha. It is a thematic garden where both the full busts will be installed on October 1 this year. Sculptor Sanjib Kumar Das is giving the final touches to the statues. The place where the statues will be installed is close to South End Park where S D Burman used to live before he moved to Mumbai in the early 1950s. He used to come to Kolkata twice or thrice every year. Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal lifeThe 89th birthday of Kishore Kumar was celebrated with much enthusiasm. A rally was taken out from Salkia to Esplanade by Salkia Kishore Kumar Memorial Cultural Association. The association members demanded that Bharat Ratna be awarded to Kishore Kumar posthumously. People from all walks of life took part in the rally.Laxmi Ratan Shukla uploaded a 13-minute video of Kishore Kumar’s songs sung by him along with Iman Chakraborty and Shovan Ganguly.The statues of Kishore Kumar were garlanded by his fans at Tollygunge and Baisanabghata-Patuli. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Mercedes car in Kolkata, 2 pedestrians killedChief Minister Mamata Banerjee also remembered the legend and tweeted: “Remembering the legend Kishore Kumar on his birth anniversary.” The state Information and Cultural Affairs department organised a programme at Rabindra Sadan to pay respect to Kishore Kumar and some of his contemporaries including S D Burman, Salil Chowdhury, Hemanta Mukherjee, R D Burman and Mukesh. Indranil Sen, noted singer and the Minister of State, Information and Cultural Affairs, and Vivek Kumar, Principal Secretary of the department also sang a few of Kishore’s timeless classics.last_img read more