Maroon 5 Reportedly Tapped To Headline Super Bowl LIII Halftime Show

first_imgToday, word has spread rapidly through entertainment media that Maroon 5 has been selected to headline the Super Bowl LIII Halftime Show, set to take place at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta, GA on February 3, 2019.As Variety notes, “Reached for comment, an NFP rep tells Variety, ‘It’s a Super Bowl tradition to speculate about the performers for the Pepsi Halftime Show. We are continuing to work with [longtime sponsor] Pepsi on our plans but do not have any announcements to make on what will be another epic show.’” A rep for Maroon 5 could not immediately be reached for comment. In the time since breaking the rumor early this afternoon, Variety has added an update to their original article clarifying that the news had been confirmed by two separate sources. Neither the band, the NFL, nor the sponsor has given confirmation of the news.Back in 2015, Maroon 5 frontman and longtime The Voice coach Adam Levine said he and his band were very interested in performing during the highly coveted halftime show. At the time, he told Howard Stern on-air that his group “very actively want to play the Super Bowl.” Now, it appears they might be getting their chance.The Super Bowl Halftime show has long been one of the most desirable bookings for the world’s biggest artists, but has notably changed directions in recent years, moving toward current pop superstars in place of seasoned rock veterans. Performers this decade have included Lady Gaga, Coldplay, Beyoncé (twice), Bruno Mars (twice), Katy Perry, Lenny Kravitz, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Madonna, Black Eyed Peas, Usher, and more of their A-List ilk, and more than a few have been fantastic. But if you read down the list for the decade that preceded it—the 2000s—it paints a notably different picture: The Who, Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, The Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, U2, as well as Prince.Last year’s Super Bowl pop star was Justin Timberlake, who put on a glitzy performance featuring extensive, elaborate choreography alongside a mashup of many of his most famous tracks. The performance also included an arguably off-the-mark tribute to Prince that had fans debating for weeks afterward. You can read more about Justin Timberlake’s controversial Super Bowl Halftime Show tribute to Prince here.Maroon 5 is in the midst of an extensive tour in support of their late-2017 release, Red Pill Blues. For a list of their upcoming dates, head here.[H/T Variety]last_img read more

Long Island Pro Gamer Returns Home a Little Richer, Wiser

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York With his team earning four bronze medals and $10,000 in cash prizes, Long Island’s top-skilled video gamer Nicholas Dicostanzo has returned home to Dix Hills after competing at the X Games in Austin, Texas, earlier this month.For the second year in a row, the extreme sports contest featured eSports, an electronic gaming competition, but for the first time, it was broadcasted live on ESPN. Dicostanzo’s four-member Team eLevate suffered a disappointing 4-0 loss in their final game, but the eSports competitors have certainly gained a lot more than they lost by landing in third place.“Obviously there were a lot of gameplay mistakes that I’m hashing over in my mind,” said Dicostanzo. “So I just keep playing and working on what I identify as my greatest weaknesses, building my intuition and reactions, and working on communication.”Diconstanzo, who’s been playing video games since 2007, only began playing competitively last year, winning team prizes across the country. For the MLG Professional League Championship in Austin, they were virtually slaying opponents in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.Compared to extreme skateboarding or BMX racing, eSports certainly differs from typical physical sports, but they share more similarities than not.“To be honest, it doesn’t matter to me if the world thinks of eSports as on the same level as athletic sports,” said Dicostanzo. “I know we put in a ton of time and practice like the athletes do, and we actually press to the physical limits similarly. But I don’t occupy myself with what others think about how eSports is situated.”He said his interactions with the other athletes proved to be supportive and insightful, helping both gamers and X-Game regulars gain mutual respect.“They were totally cool,” said Dicostanzo. “A lot of them play video games all the time, so they were interested in seeing how professional gamers play…Just like we were impressed by the stunts they could pull off, they were amazed to see the level of play we had.”So what’s next for the 23-year-old Long Island native, besides getting his Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting at the end of the year from Long Island University?“I enjoy getting back home, but I am focused on season three,” said Dicostanzo. “We’re putting together our roster now and want to make sure it’s top-quality, so we’ll see how that develops. We have a couple of plans in the works.”last_img read more

Olic remains on Hughes’ radar

first_img With Stoke 13 points clear of the Barclays Premier League drop zone after beating Newcastle 1-0 last weekend, Hughes can afford to turn his attention to next season and some potential transfers for the summer even as he prepares for Saturday’s trip to Cardiff. The 34-year-old striker Olic remains top of the wishlist with his contract expiring at Wolfsburg, and Hughes insisted a deal could still happen despite reports that he was set to remain in Germany. “There is no doubt that he is a real outstanding talent, and there is no reason why he can’t enjoy the best years of his career here with us. “I am delighted to have been able to tie him down to a long-term deal.” The acquisition of Ireland is one of several deals Hughes has done over the past few months which he believes stand Stoke in good stead going forward. “We have added a bit more quality in the final third this season,” he said. “Marko (Arnautovic) has been superb for us, as was Oussama (Assaidi) too until he picked up his injury. “Obviously Peter Odemwingie has made an impact in the short time he has been here as well. “You have to give a lot of credit to the lads that I inherited because they have really impressed me with their attitudes and work ethic, and of course, their obvious qualities too.” “Ivica Olic is a player that we like and one that we are pursuing,” Hughes said. “There have been one or two reports in the media saying this, that and the other, but for as long as we see the deal as one that we could complete then we will remain in the hunt for his signature. “He is a quality player and somebody I have met on a few occasions, and I really like him. He has played at the top level for the duration of his career, he possesses incredible pace and he is technically very, very good. “We have to give the guy time to make the decision that he feels is right. “It isn’t dead in the water yet – he just needs time to make what will be a key decision for him.” One signature which has been sealed is that of Ireland, who initially joined the Potters on loan from Villa but has now signed a long-term deal after making the switch permanent in January. Hughes, who got the best out of the Irishman during their time together at Manchester City, believes the 27-year-old can become a key player for Stoke in the coming years. “I have always felt that Stephen needs stability in his life and he is going to get that here now,” he said. “He has a good structure around him and he has good people working with him on a daily basis. Mark Hughes has revealed he remains in the hunt to sign Ivica Olic but reckons Stoke’s best bit of business might already be done after Stephen Ireland agreed a long-term deal. Press Associationlast_img read more