Health workers hard hit as Spain’s coronavirus cases rise

first_imgSpain has nearly 4,000 health workers infected with the coronavirus, more than one in ten of total confirmed cases, officials said on Monday as the toll rose in Europe’s second-worst affected country after Italy.Like in other countries hit hard by the virus, nurses, doctors and other health workers say they are not getting enough protective kits. Authorities and companies are scrambling to manufacture, buy and distribute more.As regional authorities try to contain the virus and protect vulnerable groups, soldiers deployed to Barcelona to help build a temporary homeless shelter at the city’s Fira event center. “We have some data we do not like, because we should try to control it, such as having 3,910 health workers affected,” health emergency chief Fernando Simon told a news conference.The number of cases registered in Spain rose to 33,089 up from 28,572 cases on Sunday. This means health workers account for nearly 12% of the total.They and nursing home staff will have priority as Spain rolls out a testing program.The coronavirus death toll has reached 2,182, adding 462 fatalities overnight, the Health Ministry said. Simon said 87% of those who had died were aged 70 or older.Economy Minister Nadia Calvino said a nationwide lockdown, which has kept most Spaniards confined to their homes, was beginning to take a heavy toll on the economy.”Economic activity, which was dynamic until February slowed significantly last week,” she said, adding vital industries like food, electricity and telecommunications continued to function normally.Deputy Prime Minister Carmen Calvo was hospitalized on Sunday with respiratory infection and is awaiting coronavirus test results, the government said on Monday. Results for Calvo, born in 1957, will be released as soon as they are known, the statement said.Two other ministers and the wife of Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez have tested positive for the coronavirus over the past weeks.With an extension to April 11 of a nationwide lockdown set to be approved by parliament on Wednesday, Simon urged people to respect rules that ban anyone from leaving their home except to go to work, buy food or go to the pharmacy.”On several occasions it has been said that the peak [of the epidemic] could be reached this week. Reaching the peak does not involve having controlled the problem, it means that you have to redouble your efforts not to take a step backwards,” Simon said.Supermarket group Corte Ingles said it had set up a phone number and email for health workers to do their shopping, with free delivery to their homes. The shelter, to be managed by the Red Cross, will allow up to 1,000 homeless people to isolate themselves in hygienic conditions with access to food and water, Barcelona’s Mayor Ada Colau said.In Madrid, struggling with Spain’s heaviest virus load, the municipal funeral home announced it would stop collecting bodies from Tuesday due to a shortage of equipment. Private funeral homes are operating in the capital city. Unpleasant data  Topics :last_img read more

Just two of the 12 residences within this project remain on the market

first_imgNido Apartments.Each two and three-bedroom apartment is set over two levels with all balconies designed to capture panoramic views to the south. High quality finishes and fixtures are in each spacious apartment, with timber flooring in the living and dining spaces. Kitchens feature European appliances, stone benchtops and an integrated rangehood, while all bathrooms and powder rooms are tiled floor-to-ceiling. There is secure access to all apartments. Just a couple of units at Nido Apartments remain on the market.Just two of the 12 residences within Nido Apartments remain on the market, with buyers expected to move in this week.They include a pilot, a lawyer, restaurant owners, and a radio announcer. The project is also proving popular with retirees.Wes Press from Place Projects said Nido Apartments, which sits on top of Bartley’s Hill in Ascot, had attracted a range of buyers.“We have semi-retired couples who are planning ahead, a couple whose kids had moved out and they wanted to downsize and another family with young kids who wanted to be in the school catchment zone,” Mr Press said. “It was designed with the owner-occupier and downsizers in mind but has resonated with a range of buyers.”More from newsNew apartments released at idyllic retirement community Samford Grove Presented by Parks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus20 hours agoNido Apartments, AscotJust one two-bedroom apartment and one three-bedroom apartment remain on the market, starting from $765,000.Mr Press said those who had bought apartments had spent in the “mid-to-high $900,000s” and thousands of extra dollars perfecting upgrades to suit their lifestyles.“Most are professionals and business owners but there are probably 35 per cent who are retired and a few who are semi-retired and planning for their future,” he said. “Not everyone wants to live in a retirement village or lifestyle resort. They want to live somewhere beautiful that they can lock and leave. Quite a few buyers travel extensively.” Nido Apartments is just 50m to St Margaret’s Anglican Girls’ School, and is within the Ascot State School catchment. last_img read more

Nikias to head college football playoff board

first_imgCollege Football Playoff Executive Director Bill Hancock announced Monday that starting Feb. 1, university President C. L. Max Nikias will be the Chairman of the College Football Playoff Board of Managers.Nikias will replace former University of Nebraska-Lincoln Chancellor Harvey Perlman due to a combination of Perlman’s retirement this upcoming summer, and for Nikias’s pivotal role in the playoff committee during the 2015-2016 season.“Nikias has been instrumental in the development and growth of the College Football Playoff,” Hancock said in the CFP’s press release. “We appreciate his leadership and continued support. He is highly respected by his fellow presidents and chancellors and he will be an excellent chair.”With one representative from each NCAA Division I FBS conference, Nikias was a natural choice as the chairman of the Playoff Committee after USC Athletic Director and Pac-12 representative Pat Haden stepped down from his position on the CFP selection committee.As the chairman and member of the Board of Managers, Nikias will be responsible for leading the Board of Managers and helping to govern the College Football Playoff’s business, property and affairs. The board works to create annual budgets and develop general procedures.Among the Board of Managers are: Rodney Bennett, University of Southern Mississippi president (C-USA); Anthony Frank, Colorado State University president (Mountain West); Burns Hargis, Oklahoma State University president (Big 12); Jack Hawkins, Troy University chancellor (Sun Belt); Rev. John Jenkins, University of Notre Dame president (Independent), Mark Keenum, Mississippi State University president (SEC), Roderick McDavis, Ohio University president (MAC); Harvey Perlman, University of Nebraska chancellor (Big Ten); John Thrasher, Florida State University president (ACC); and Steadman Upham,  University of Tulsa president (American Athletic).Although Nikias has not held any positions of responsibility in terms of sports, he has held positions of authority in the USC education system.Since he was hired at USC in 1991, Nikias has been instrumental in many facets of USC education, serving as a professor, director of national research centers, dean, provost and president along with holding the Robert C. Packard President’s Chair, the Malcolm R. Currie Chair in Technology and the Humanities, the USC Health System Board Chair and the Association of Pacific Rim Universities Chair.With spring football on the horizon though, Nikias and the College Football Playoff Board of Managers will be busy at work preparing for next season.last_img read more

Ultra Light plane crash near Baldonnel

first_imgThe Fort St. John RCMP responded to an ultra light plane crash just after midnight on Tuesday July 21st.The aircraft lost power and went into a 250 metre ravine on the back side of Baldonnel.  At approximately 10pm on Monday night, the small aircraft lost engine power crashing into a wooded ravine area.  The pilot walked out of the ravine to get help.  The pilot had to leave his elderly aunt in the ravine because she was physically unable to walk up the treacherous hill side.The Fort St. John RCMP, the Taylor Fire Department and Search and Rescue responded to the call with the help of people that live in the area they were able to bring both people out of the ravine safely.  Neither were injured and did not require medical attention.  Both were in good spirits and were joking around with rescue crews.- Advertisement -If you have any photos from this crash, please e-mail [email protected]last_img read more