Two Tibetan documentary filmmakers held for past six months in Tibet

first_img News Follow the news on China Reporters Without Borders calls on the Chinese authorities to release Dhondup Wangchen (picture), who made a documentary about Tibet, and Jigme Gyatso, his friend and camera assistant. They have been unjustly detained since March 2008 for filming interviews with Tibetans, above all in the Amdo region of Tibet Receive email alerts China’s Cyber ​​Censorship Figures RSF_en April 27, 2021 Find out more Reporters Without Borders calls on the Chinese authorities to release Dhondup Wangchen, who made a documentary about Tibet, and Jigme Gyatso, his friend and camera assistant. They have been unjustly detained since March 2008 for filming interviews with Tibetans, above all in the Amdo region of Tibet”The case of Wangchen and Gyatso is a tragic example of what happens when Tibetans take the risk of trying to interview people about the situation in the province,” Reporters Without Borders said. “The Chinese government decided to reopen Tibet to foreign tourists, and now it must show clemency towards those who have been detained solely because of what they or others said.”Wangchen’s wife, Lhamo Tso, told Reporters Without Borders that she still does not know exactly why they are being held. A resident of the northern Indian city of Dharamsala, Tso said her husband was reticent about the purpose of his proposed long trip when he set off for Tibet in October 2007. After losing touch, she was told at the end of March that Wangchen and Gyatso were arrested on 23 March in the Siling area.The film produced from what Wangchen and Gyatso filmed is a 25-minute documentary entitled Leaving Fear Behind (www.leavingfearbehind.com). It shows Tibetans in the Amdo region expressing their views on the Dalai Lama, the Olympic Games and Chinese legislation. Wangchen managed to send his videocassettes out of Tibet before he and Gyatso were arrested. Neither of their families has had any news of them for the past five and a half months.Wangchen was born in the Amdo region in 1974. A Buddhist monk, Gyatso is from the Kham region.Tso told Reporters Without Borders that her husband has always been “a very active man who has always wanted to do something for Tibet.” Before his arrest, Wangchen said: “It is very difficult for Tibetans to go to Beijing and express themselves freely. This is why we decided to show the real feelings of the Tibetan people in a documentary.”Screened for foreign journalists in Beijing during the Olympic Games, the documentary shows Tibetans expressing their disillusionment with the erosion and marginalisation of the Tibetan language and culture, the destruction of the nomadic lifestyle by forced resettlement, the lack of religious freedom and attacks on the Dalai Lama, and the Chinese government’s broken promises before the Olympic Games to improve the situation in Tibet.In Dharamsala, Tso has to take care not only of her four children but also her husband’s parents. “I get up in the night to bake bread which I myself then sell,” she said. “I feel the pressure mentally more than physically (…) I have to cope with a lot of difficulties but the biggest problem is the fact that my husband is in prison.”Tso said her husband was aware of the risks he was running when he made the documentary. “Yes, he knew,” she said. “But that does not mean he does not love his family and his parents. He did it for the Tibetan people and Tibet.”Ngawang Choephel, a Tibetan ethnomusicologist and documentary filmmaker, was released on “medical grounds” from Chengdu prison in China in 2002 after being held for six years. He had been given an 18-year-sentence on charges of subversion, spying and counter-revolutionary activities. ChinaAsia – Pacific March 12, 2021 Find out more ChinaAsia – Pacific to go further News China: Political commentator sentenced to eight months in prison Help by sharing this information News News Democracies need “reciprocity mechanism” to combat propaganda by authoritarian regimes Organisation June 2, 2021 Find out more September 16, 2008 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Two Tibetan documentary filmmakers held for past six months in Tibetlast_img read more

HSE urging everyone to adhere to Public Health Guidelines

first_img Facebook HSE urging everyone to adhere to Public Health Guidelines DL Debate – 24/05/21 Google+ Previous articleDisappointment as two flood projects for Twin Towns refused fundingNext articleFG & FF set to agree a framework document on grand coalition News Highland Google+ By News Highland – April 10, 2020 Pinterest Harps come back to win in Waterford Homepage BannerNews Twitter WhatsAppcenter_img WhatsApp News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th Journey home will be easier – Paul Hegarty Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic The HSE is urging everyone to continue to adhere to the Public Health Guidelines.The Crisis Management Team (CMT) co-ordinating all HSE Services across the CHO 1 area which covers Donegal in the fight to identify, contain and stop the spread of Covid 19 has appealed to the general public to continue adhering to the public health guidelines over the Easter Bank holiday weekend.The Crisis Management Team includes participation from Letterkenny University Hospital and Sligo University Hospital.The CMT has moved to assure communities in counties Donegal that extensive preparations for the impact of Covid-19 are in place. Some of the measures activated include:Increasing bed capacity across our acute hospitals and community hospitals/residences to provide additional ICU beds, acute beds, intermediate and step-down beds.Operating Covid 19 Testing Centres and providing a Contact Tracing Service.Preparations for the opening of four Community Assessment Hubs for patients who are Covid positive and need a face to face clinical assessment which will begin to open next week.Infection Prevention and Control Team Covid Response Plan & Measures implemented across all ServicesIdentifying self-isolation units across the area, should they be needed and supporting Community Response Forums in each County which are being led by the Local Authorities.They are also reminding the public that they are still providing essential/vital services to the population and that visiting restrictions are in place in all hospitals and residential centres.Staff are doing everything possible to support patients and residents to keep in contact with family and friends. Facebook RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Twitter Pinterest Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population growslast_img read more

English FA & authorities urged to tackle ‘scourge of anti-Irish racism’

first_img Pinterest Twitter Twitter Harps come back to win in Waterford Kelly nets hat-trick in Bohs win By News Highland – February 17, 2021 The North’s Deputy First Minister’s called on the English FA and authorities to take immediate action to tackle the scourge of anti-Irish racism.It’s after footballer James Mc Clean described the abuse he has received in recent years, including threats to burn down his house, while his wife said he had a death threat before a game.He also described the online abuse his brother received this morning.Sinn Fein’s Michelle O’ Neill says no one should fear for their safety because of their identity. Derry draw with Pats: Higgins & Thomson Reaction FT Report: Derry City 2 St Pats 2 Journey home will be easier – Paul Hegarty Homepage BannerNewsSport WhatsAppcenter_img Facebook Pinterest Previous articleGold ring handed in to Gardai in Letterkenny, is it yours?Next article12 new Covid-19 cases confirmed in Donegal, 57 deaths nationally News Highland RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR WhatsApp Google+ Sligo Rovers go top of Premier Division English FA & authorities urged to tackle ‘scourge of anti-Irish racism’ Facebook Google+last_img read more

Calls on Revenue to take over TV licence fee collection

first_img Twitter News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th Pinterest Journey home will be easier – Paul Hegarty DL Debate – 24/05/21 There’s a proposal for the Revenue to take over collecting the TV licence fee from An Post.It’s part of an Oireachtas report which aims to tackle evasion and raise an additional 30 million euro a year.Earlier this week, the Communications Minister Denis Naughten ruled out introducing a laptop levy instead of the licence fee.Former Communication Minister Pat Rabbitte says it isn’t Revenue’s role to collect billsAudio Playerhttp://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/tv.wav00:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume. WhatsApp Homepage BannerNews By News Highland – November 26, 2017 Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows Google+ WhatsAppcenter_img Google+ Twitter Previous articleFine Gael and Fine Fail continue talks to avert Christmas ElectionNext articleMoville’s Hegarty sisters receive Ladies All-Star Awards News Highland Calls on Revenue to take over TV licence fee collection Facebook Facebook Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic Harps come back to win in Waterford Pinterest RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHORlast_img read more

More than 70 West Point cadets accused of cheating

first_imgnancykennedy/iStockBy HALEY YAMADA and MATT SEYLER, ABC News(WEST POINT, N.Y.) — Seventy-three cadets at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point were accused of cheating during a remote-learning exam held online in May, making it the worst such scandal in nearly 45 years, a spokesperson for the prestigious military academy told ABC News Monday evening.Of the cadets accused of cheating, 59 confessed, most of whom were enrolled in a six-month mentorship and rehabilitation program as a result. They will remain on probation for the rest of their time at the school, which means another infraction could mean expulsion, the spokesperson said.Cheating is an explicit breach of West Point’s honor code: “A Cadet will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”Lt. Col. Christopher Ophardt, director of public affairs and communications at West Point, said in a statement that “while disappointing,” the school’s honor system is working, and the accused cadets remaining at the school “will be held accountable for their actions.”Eight have maintained their innocence and will go before a board of their cadet peers — overseen by military officers and lawyers — to determine their fate next year. Out of the original 73 accused cadets, four have resigned.The spokesperson did not identify any of the cadets by name.The investigation into cheating began in May when math instructors noticed irregularities in the test results, a West Point spokesperson said.More than twice the number of cadets were accused in the last mass-cheating incident at the academy in 1976. But the older case was more severe for other reasons as well. While all but one of the 73 cadets accused this year were freshmen new to the academy, all of the 152 accused in the older case were upperclassmen.Furthermore, the 1976 incident saw a breakdown in the academy’s disciplinary system, and even a cover up on the part of its administration, which hid the scandal from the secretary of the Army and the Pentagon, according to the spokesperson.Lt. Col. Ophardt said this year’s cheating incident was flagged to the proper defense authorities.Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Isabel Allende speaks at the Sanctuary Theatre

first_img Read Full Story “Isabel Allende is a Latin American writer who has become a household name in the United States,” began Erin Goodman, Associate Director of Academic Programs at the David Rockefeller Center for Latin American Studies (DRCLAS), as she introduced the famous novelist before a crowd of more than 270 fans at the Sanctuary Theatre in Harvard Square this past Saturday evening. The Chilean-American author engaged in a candid conversation with Goodman and with Diana Sorensen, James F. Rothenberg Professor of Romance Languages and Literatures and of Comparative Literatures, on the occasion of the release of her latest novel.Though she is best known as a novelist, Isabel Allende is also an activist. The recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2014, she established the Isabel Allende Foundation, promoting women’s and girls’ empowerment. As is characteristic of Allende, on Saturday she shared passionate insight on several subjects, ranging from the personal and lighthearted to the more serious, including human trafficking, immigration, and the refugee crisis.When Sorensen asked Allende about how social justice factors into her creative process, Allende stated, “there are many cases in which people have absolute power with impunity, and they are able to do horrible things. The imagination for atrocities is infinite.”In response to a question from Goodman about the recurrence of voiceless female characters in her novels, Allende reflected, “I am trying to explain what it means to be a woman and be permanently silenced, having a voice that is never heard.” In her new novel, “In the Midst of Winter,” the character of Evelyn, a migrant worker from Guatemala, has trouble speaking and sharing her traumatic past. “[She] represents the undocumented worker in this country that has no voice and no human rights,” Allende explained. “We penalize people who have escaped to save their lives.”Allende herself was a refugee in Venezuela for 13 years before coming to the United States. Regarding her own background, she expressed, “I do think a lot about my past, about my roots. I try to conserve my Chilean background as much as possible being an immigrant here, but it is very easy for me to imagine what it is to be a refugee or an immigrant because I have been both … When we talk about refugees, we think of numbers and how to lower the numbers of refugees—that doesn’t mean anything … if I can give that story, like Evelyn’s story, for example, to one reader, I might be able to touch that reader’s heart, not with my words, but with the story because it is a human story.”The Harvard Coop and DRCLAS presented the event, which was also supported by the José Mateo Ballet Theatre and the Harvard Square Business Association. last_img read more