Brothers sentenced over firearm attack on estate agency

first_imgHome » News » Agencies & People » Brothers sentenced over firearm attack on estate agency previous nextAgencies & PeopleBrothers sentenced over firearm attack on estate agencyJoshua and Brandon Maas both discharged a ‘lethal’ weapon at the branch of Gateshead agency Carousel, and also later damaged one of its cars.Nigel Lewis10th August 20202 Comments1,030 Views Two brothers who discharged an air pistol at an estate agency window and damaged one of the company’s cars after being told they were to be evicted from their rented home have been jailed after causing damage estimated at £5,000.Joshua Maas, 24 and his brother Brandon 19, had been renting a home in Gateshead, Tyne & Wear but after two months at the property had not paid any rent after problems accessing benefits.The property’s managing estate agency, Carousel, then instigated eviction proceedings against the pair and served paperwork at the address informing them of this.That evening the Maas brothers drove to the central Gateshead estate agency branch of Carousel (pictured) and fired pellets at its window, punching seven holes in the glass. Fortunately, no staff were in the office at the time but two ‘terrified’ nearby pedestrians witnessed the attack, which included loud bangs as the firearm discharged.After driving off, the pair then spotted one of Carousel’s leased and branded company cars which was parked on a street two miles away, stopping to fire pellets at the vehicle, shattering two sides windows, a rear window and puncturing the body work.FirearmWhen their car was searched five days later, police found what was classed to be a ‘lethal barrelled firearm’.At court the pair admitted affray and criminal damage and Joshua was jailed for 12 months and Brandon to nine months suspended for 18 months.The judge said their sentences took into account the brothers’ troubled upbringing and the fact that Joshua suffered from ADHD but also reflected their ‘foolish’ and ‘very immature’ actions, as well as the terror that the estate agent’s staff felt in the day’s afterwards before their arrest, local media report.carousel gatehead August 10, 2020Nigel Lewis2 commentsPossession Friend, Possession Friend Possession Friend 10th August 2020 at 12:10 pmCan’t afford to pay Rent, but CAN afford an Air weapon and Ammunition – PRIORITIES ?Log in to ReplyPossession Friend, Possession Friend Possession Friend 10th August 2020 at 12:07 pmAmazing the Crime you can get away with by pleading ‘ Thick and uneducated ‘Log in to ReplyWhat’s your opinion? Cancel replyYou must be logged in to post a comment.Please note: This is a site for professional discussion. Comments will carry your full name and company.This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.Related articles BREAKING: Evictions paperwork must now include ‘breathing space’ scheme details30th April 2021 City dwellers most satisfied with where they live30th April 2021 Hong Kong remains most expensive city to rent with London in 4th place30th April 2021last_img read more

Hartford Courant wins appeal over secrecy in juvenile crimes

first_imgNEW YORK (AP) — The Hartford Courant triumphed Monday in its challenge to a Connecticut law sealing some juvenile court proceedings, including records in Kennedy cousin Michael Skakel’s murder case. The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled Monday in Manhattan. It rejected a 2019 Connecticut law that kept secret the identities of juveniles when their cases were transferred to adult court. Records would only be unsealed if they were convicted. A three-judge appeals panel said the law was not narrow enough to be constitutional. The decision came in a lawsuit challenging the law filed by the newspaper and the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press. The Connecticut attorney general’s office said it was considering next steps.last_img read more

To Speed Up Baseball, LI Ducks Try Novel Approach: 3 Balls Is A Walk

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York [dropcap]T[/dropcap]he fans had barely settled into their seats for the Long Island Ducks spring training opener on Saturday when Bridgeport Bluefish diminutive centerfielder Nick Van Stratten lined a leadoff double down the third base line, an ominous start for the home team. Next up was third baseman Sean Burroughs, who came to the plate with the opportunity to knock in the first run of the game, but all he could manage was a harmless two-strike foul ball that landed on the first base side of foul territory. With that, Burroughs’ at-bat was over—the home plate umpire had called him out on strikes.Burroughs was forced to grudgingly retreat to the dugout, but only after receiving much-needed clarification from umpire Tony Senia.“Sean’s reaction was basically one of non-knowledge,” Senia said in a statement afterward. “He really didn’t have an idea of what was going on when I called him out on the two-strike foul. I just said to him that it was a foul with two strikes, and therefore, an out. He said, ‘You’re kidding me?’”Nope, this wasn’t a belated April Fools joke.“I was the goat,” Burroughs would later say, following the Ducks’ 1-0 victory at a sun-splashed Bethpage Ballpark in Central Islip, where season ticket holders were treated to a barbeque with their favorite players. The nine-inning game lasted two hours and 15 minutes.Indeed, under Saturday’s radical one-game novelty rule changes, Burroughs was the first player to suffer from the ego-crushing two-strike foul-out regulation. During the exhibition game, the Atlantic League also experimented with a three-ball walk rule. Therefore, no at-bat could last longer than five pitches. After the game, Burroughs said the rules were “completely ridiculous.”“They’re trying to speed up the play of game, but really it just makes the game boring,” Burroughs added.The unorthodox rules, which aren’t under consideration for the 2015 season, are part of the Atlantic League’s continued effort to streamline games. In June 2014, the league established a “pace of play” committee, charged with investigating ways to reduce the length of games and improve the overall fan experience.On Saturday, 10 players succumbed to the two-strike foul rule and nine worked three-ball walks. Despite the near-split, several players in post-game interviews were all in agreement that the rules favored pitchers. The Ducks officially scored such outs as strikeouts. Some players didn’t know what to call it.The Atlantic League and Major League Baseball, along with its minor league affiliates, are responding to a perception that baseball games are too damn long and they’ve become dominated by too many idle moments on the field: a batter fixing his gloves and scratching himself in between each pitch, the pitcher cursing himself while taking a self-imposed punishing lap around the mound, umpires taking liberties with the strike zone.What the Atlantic League’s pace of play committee came up with wasn’t Earth-shattering. Among the initiatives adopted on a trial basis late last season was a three-“time out” rule, prohibiting more than three mound visits from a coach or position player. Ducks manager Kevin Baez, a former Met, said he had no problem with the rule, noting that he tries to limit trips to the mound, anyway.Umpires were also told to enforce an existing rule directing batters to remain in the batter’s box in-between pitches and to call “balls” and “strikes” as instructed by the rule book. Also, relief pitchers would be allowed two fewer warm-up pitches (down to six from eight), and an intentional walk would be awarded to a batter simply by signaling to the umpire instead of having to throw four consecutive balls out of the strike zone, as is now customary. The rule concerning relievers was the only one that didn’t carry over to the 2015 Atlantic League season.MLB instituted its own rules to begin this season, and the early returns appear heartening. According to the New York Daily News, the average time of the first 124 nine-inning games of the season ran under three hours at 2:54.33—a nearly eight-minute difference from last year. The big leagues appeared to follow in the Atlantic League’s footsteps this year by implementing the same batter’s box rule. MLB, at least for the time being, has successfully reduced the length of games without placing pitch-timing clocks in stadiums, something minor league teams are experimenting with.Plenty of baseball purists are unable to come to grips with the game’s changes, but even former players with decades in baseball are embracing these new initiatives. Consider Ducks bench coach and club co-owner Bud Harrelson, an advocate for pace of play experiments.“The families are coming, they don’t want it to be three and a half hours, they don’t want it to be three hours,” Harrelson said in an interview a day before the team’s spring opener.“The game is getting slow,” added Harrelson, who spent 13 years with the Mets and was part of the team’s 1969 World Series-winning team.Harrelson began noticing the game becoming sluggish years ago, especially when players become more effective at stealing bases. Batters, he said, have also become too comfortable interrupting pitchers by stepping out of the box, a strategy that wouldn’t fly back when he played. Often, batters and pitchers engage in a sort of cat-and-mouse game, which can delay the at-bats.“In the old days if you would’ve done that, they would throw at you. The Gibsons of the world and guys like that would’ve been like ‘Woosh’ stay in there!” he said, mimicking a ball sailing close to a batter as he referred to the great Cardinals ace Bob Gibson, whom he had to bat against back in the day.Harrelson admitted to actually dozing off during a recent Mets game, despite the team’s impressive start.“All of a sudden it’s not a fun game to watch,” he said.Even for Harrelson?“At times,” the 70-year-old former infielder admitted.Trying to pick up the pace won Baez’s approval.“I think it’s good,” the Ducks manager said last Friday following morning workouts. “As long as it’s not taking away from the game, and I don’t think it is right now.”Ducks players appeared unaffected by recent rule changes. They weren’t as enthusiastic about Saturday’s directives, however, brushing them off as a “fun” one-game experiment and nothing more.Most players were diplomatic when asked about it, perhaps because the person who suggested playing under such unorthodox rules, author Paul Auster, a lifelong Mets fan from Brooklyn, was in attendance.“I think my idea would cut down pitch counts and therefore keep starters in games longer, and there’d be fewer of those dead intervals where there’s just nothing happening,” Auster told a scrum of reporters inside the stadium press box prior to the first pitch. “Five pitches would be the limit for any at-bat. I think it would become a more fascinating, exciting game that would appeal to young people more who are not interested in baseball anymore at all. I don’t see any harm in trying it out. I know it’s radical, it’s Baseball 2.0, I understand that.”Paul Auster (left) speaking with Ducks center fielder/hitting coach Lew Ford. Auster, an author, created the three-ball walk and the two-strike-foul-out rule the Atlantic League adopted for Saturday’s exhibition game between the Ducks and Bluefish. (Rashed Mian/Long Island Press)Auster is the sort of baseball fan who would seemingly decry such changes. After all, he’s watched baseball for six decades. He cut junior high school to see the Mets’ third-ever game at the Polo Grounds, and he has followed the game passionately ever since. He detests the idea of a pitch clock, but is intrigued by the two-strike foul-out rule, which he initially pitched in a letter to The New York Times, which was subsequently published. A sports writer for the Daily News interviewed Auster about it, and the idea eventually made its way to the Atlantic League, which has been at the forefront of pace of play changes.Auster, whose idea provoked mixed reactions from his friends, could barely contain his excitement. He asked Ducks officials about it during its media day press conference before the 1 p.m. game and discussed the concept with players on the field.He sat several rows behind the home dugout along first base, a one-day press pass wrapped around his neck and aviator glasses guarding his eyes. Nearly every time a two-strike or two-ball situation cropped up, he took careful notes.After Burroughs fouled out—err, struck out, sorry—in the first inning, Auster and the Daily News reporter who accompanied him to the game wondered out loud what to term the eccentric out. They decided on “Klunkout”—written “KL” on the reporter’s scorecard.Auster appeared delighted by the results, but he had plenty of detractors.“This is never gonna fly!” a fan shouted within earshot of Auster, who didn’t respond. But when nearby fans mistakenly thought the umpire blew a “Klunkout,” a perceived out that would’ve helped the home team, they chided the umpire. A spattering of fans joined in, but considering it was spring training the moment of discontent did not last very long.History reared its head again in the first inning when Bluefish outfielder Welington Dotel worked the count to 2-2—leading to the first ever “Do-Or-Die” pitch, a term Auster and former Yankees public relations director Marty Appel came up with while watching the game together.“This is the first time there’s been a game in which the pitch coming will have to have a result, and that’s never been the case before,” Auster said. “There’s something exciting about those do-or-die moments.”The top of the first inning lasted seven minutes, breezy but not uncommon.The first history-making three-ball walk came at the expense of Bluefish starter Cody Scarpetta, who walked Ducks outfielder Trayvon Robinson on three consecutive pitches out of the zone.Burroughs was the second batter to hit in the top of the third, this time benefiting from the rules. He earned a walk after a four-pitch at-bat. This time, he remembered the rules and jogged 90 feet to first base.Although the players didn’t take too much stock in rules, they did strategize around them. Ducks catcher Jose Morales estimated that the pitching staff threw 80-percent fastballs in order to attack batters and get ahead in the count.Ducks centerfielder and hitting instructor Lew Ford swung at the first pitch in all three at bats, earning two singles.Ford, the league’s most valuable player last year despite the Ducks missing the postseason, admitted afterward he wanted to avoid two-strike counts.“It worked out,” he said.The Ducks broke a 0-0 tie in the bottom of the fourth when second baseman Blake Davis singled home John Griffin, who had made it to second on a double. It was the only run the Ducks would need, shutting out a Bluefish offense that managed four hits.Of course, there’s no telling what would’ve happened if batters had the opportunity to foul off a few two-strike pitches. There was one occasion in the second inning when Bluefish first baseman Andres Rodriguez ripped a long, one-out single to left field. He advanced on a passed ball, and then went to third on an error by shortstop Dan Lyons. With runners on first and third and one man out, catcher Luis Rodriguez fouled off an 0-2 offering to shallow right field. Rodriguez shrugged and made the short trek to the dugout before the ball had landed. The next batter grounded into a force-out at second, ending the inning.Although the game was indeed short by baseball standards, it’s not unheard of for a 1-0 major league game to end within two and a half hours. Also, Saturday’s exhibition featured anemic hitting and no mid-inning pitching changes. Unless games are played out under these rules dozens of times, it’s nearly impossible to determine whether the unique rules were a factor in shortening the length.Asked after the game what he thought of the changed rules, Ducks catcher Jose Morales smiled and said, “It was a quick game.”Still, he never wants to see those rules implemented when games count. He has a championship on his mind.“It’s hard enough to hit the regular way,” Morales said. “It can get frustrating because as a hitter you want to battle, put the ball in play.”Auster reminded Morales that there were some “regular” strikeouts, too.“Yeah,” Morales laughed, “we got a couple of those.”last_img read more

Tweed Heads house transformed into coastal haven

first_img2 The Mainbrace, Tweed Heads. 2 The Mainbrace, Tweed Heads. 2 The Mainbrace, Tweed Heads.“The floor layout was so different to everything else I had seen and it just complimented the water,” she said. “It was something I could work with.” Initial installations included a new kitchen and bathrooms, flooring, ceilings, windows and lush gardens.“I’ve added the deck overlooking the water and out the front, with the flat-roof garage, I’ve extended it and put a carport next to it,” Ms McClintock said. “I’ve absolutely loved doing the renovations. “My son Scott is a carpenter so he has done a lot of the work.” 2 The Mainbrace, Tweed Heads.Harcourts BMG agent Michelle Topper described the house has having it all.“The home is positioned in the elite The Mainbrace, Tweed Heads with quality waterfront homes surrounding this quiet cul-de-sac,” she said. “It has river and ocean access to enjoy everything that the waterfront lifestyle beholds. “Enjoy a flat walk to the bustling Kirra, cafes, restaurants and shopping precinct and get among all that Kirra and Coolangatta has to offer or just enjoy the peace and tranquillity of the river lifestyle.” The 989sq m property is on the market at $1.385 million. 2 The Mainbrace, Tweed HeadsFROM rundown brick house to stunning coastal haven, this is a renovation of epic proportions.When vendor Alison McClintock found the waterfront property seven years ago, she knew she could turn it into something special.center_img 2 The Mainbrace, Tweed Heads. More from news02:37Purchasers snap up every residence in the $40 million Siarn Palm Beach North1 hour ago02:37International architect Desmond Brooks selling luxury beach villa21 hours ago2 The Mainbrace, Tweed Heads.The end result is an inviting coastal oasis. As soon as you step inside, a sense of relaxation sweeps over you. The house oozes character and charm with neutral tones, travertine tiles and louvre windows. The kitchen features soft-toned cabinetry, plenty of cupboard space, Caesarstone bench tops and pendant lights, and flows through to the dining and living areas. This area moves seamlessly out to the covered alfresco area and timber deck.“I love sitting out on the deck in the morning,” the mother of four said. “It’s so still.”The house features four bedrooms including the main which is segregated from the rest.It incorporates an ensuite, walk in robe and sliding doors that open out to the gardens. 2 The Mainbrace, Tweed Heads.There is parking for four cars with a remote tandem garage and tandem carport that can fit a caravan.Ms McClintock said she was selling as her children had left the nest. “It really has been such a joy to live there, I don’t really want to go,” she said.last_img read more

Safeties turn game around

first_imgJEFF SCHORFHEIDE/Herald photoWisconsin hadn’t registered a safety since 2004. And then, on back-to-back possessions, it got two of them.With the scored tied at 24-24 in the fourth quarter, the Badgers forced two safeties against the Golden Gophers on their way to earning a 35-32 victory Saturday night.“That’s some of the talk earlier in the season … when we had teams backed up,” defensive lineman Mike Newkirk said. “None of us had ever had a safety when we were on the field.”UW last notched a safety against UNLV on Sept. 11, 2004, when the Badgers had two of them.On Saturday, the first came as UW kicked off following P.J. Hill’s 1-yard touchdown run that had tied the game at 24.Minnesota returner Troy Stoudermire was hit by Antonio Fenelus at the 8-yard line, and the loose ball bounced all the way out of the back of the end zone to give Wisconsin a two-point lead.“That play was a big momentum swing,” defensive lineman O’Brien Schofield said.It looked like Wisconsin was going to recover the ball for a touchdown, but the Badgers were plenty happy with the safety.“I thought we had a chance to get on the ball in the end zone and get seven points out of it rather than two,” Badger head coach Bret Bielema said. “But that’s just a head coach being greedy.”Wisconsin wasn’t able to score on its ensuing possession, but Brad Nortman’s punt left Minnesota with the ball on its own 7-yard line with 11:43 left to play.The Badger defensive line realized the opportunity it had.“When we’re down there that close, it’s a goal to get a safety,” Schofield said.“You get closer and you realize you’re in the realm, and its something that sparks you a little bit and you play a little bit harder,” Newkirk said.It was Newkirk who really took over.Newkirk sacked Gopher quarterback Adam Weber for a 5-yard loss on first down. After a false start penalty, Weber was backed up to his 1-yard line facing a third-and-16.Newkirk came up with another sack, this time in the end zone, and the Badgers had their second safety of the game.“You get close so many times, but the guy gets rid of it, throws it away,” Newkirk said. “It was nice he held onto the ball for me.”The second safety might have been the most visible play by the Badgers’ defensive line, which seemed to dominate the Gophers down the stretch.“I feel like the defensive line stepped up and played to our potential today,” Schofield said. “This is something that we was hoping we could’ve got to earlier in the year, but it came at a good time.”It was especially big for Newkirk and Matt Shaugnessy, a pair of seniors hoping to keep the ax in their final season.“Two seniors took it upon themselves,” Bielema said. “I did feel our defensive line raised it up another level and were able to make some pressure and make [Weber] make some bad throws.”In the fourth quarter alone, Minnesota picked up four false start penalties as the Gopher offensive line tried to slow the Wisconsin rush.“I guess they were trying to get a good jump,” Schofield said. “We were trying to attack and make sure we won that game.”With the Badgers’ line getting pressure on Weber, the defensive backs were relieved to have their own job made easier.“To see what [the defensive line] did today and the way they took over, that was huge for us,” safety Chris Maragos said. “Those guys up front are beasts, and they really took care of business today.”On the final drive, the defensive line came up big once again. With Minnesota facing fourth down, Weber felt the pressure and was forced to make a poor throw that was intercepted by Niles Brinkley to seal the game.“We let Ohio State drive down, and we weren’t about to let that happen again so we rallied together,” Schofield said.For the defensive line, it was as good of a victory as it gets.“It was something that we always take pride in — putting the game on our shoulders,” Newkirk said, “and it was something we really wanted and we were able to get after it.”last_img read more