NDI: No plans to ‘curtail or modify’ spring study abroad programs in wake of Paris attacks

first_imgNotre Dame International (NDI) released a statement Thursday regarding student safety, following the Paris attacks and terrorist threats. Three groups of terrorists staged attacks across the city Nov. 13, killing 130 people and injuring hundreds more. The terrorist group ISIS later claimed responsibility for the attacks.“The University of Notre Dame believes that serious academic engagement in countries outside the U.S. is the best way to form global citizens who are equipped to participate in and respond to an increasingly complex and interconnected world,” the statement said. “NDI seeks always to balance this University value with vigilance and diligence by preparing students before they depart for international programs and providing resources and response plans for the duration of their time abroad.”The statement listed existing and ongoing measures to ensure student safety, as well as new and enhanced measures, which include “regular updates to students abroad regarding world and local events that may affect them” and a “formalization of incident response plans — both on campus and at Notre Dame’s Global Gateways.”The statement referenced an email sent Nov. 14 by Tom Guinan, NDI’s associate vice president of administrative operations, to students studying abroad.The email offered details on available counseling and support services, encouraged students to register all personal travel away from their program locations and asked them to respond to communications from NDI staff and family members in a timely manner.NDI has no plans to “curtail or modify” any spring 2016 study abroad programs, according to a statement issued Tuesday.“The safety and wellbeing of our students abroad is of the utmost importance to the University. We will diligently follow guidance from the State Department in the coming weeks and months and will keep in contact with peer universities to ensure we respond quickly to any health and safety issues abroad that may impact our students,” the statement said.Tags: NDI, Notre Dame International, Paris attacks, terrorismlast_img read more

Nassau Emergency Management Deputy Commissioner Charged With Perjury

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York The deputy commissioner of the Nassau County Office of Emergency Management was arrested Thursday for allegedly failing to disclose on his job application that he was convicted of a felony, prosecutors said.Edward Korona, Jr. did not enter a plea when he was arraigned on charges of perjury, four counts of offering a false instrument for filing, four counts of making an apparently false sworn statement—all felonies—and a misdemeanor count of official misconduct.“We vehemently deny the charges and I think as this case proceeds in the courts it will show that these charges have no merit,” his Garden City-based attorney, N. Scott Banks, told reporters outside court after Korona left without commenting.Prosecutors alleged that the 53-year-old Hicksville man, who was previously chief of the Hicksville Fire Department, wrote “No” on four civil service job application forms between 2007 and 2013 next to the question asking if he was ever convicted of a violation, misdemeanor or felony.“A criminal conviction should not be an absolute bar to government employment, but lying about a prior felony four times on sworn job applications is a serious offense—especially for a high-ranking official entrusted with important responsibilities,” acting Nassau County District Attorney Madeline Singas said.Korona was convicted of burglary and attempted burglary in 1982, according to the New York State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision. He served four years in prison before he was released, the agency said.“I waited in the car,” Korona allegedly told investigators with the district attorney’s office who questioned him about the alleged application omissions, according to court documents obtained by the Press. He also allegedly told investigators that he had also been arrested prior to the burglary in both Nassau and Suffolk counties for an “incident related to a vehicle,” but believed that those convictions were given youthful offender status.“He was hired as a civil servant in 1986, has retained his permanent civil service title and accordingly this matter is under review,” Nassau County Attorney Carnell Foskey said in a statement in response to questions posed to Nassau County Executive Ed Mangano’s spokesman regarding Korona’s employment status.Korona, who was appointed to his current position, has donated nearly $1,000 to Mangano’s campaign and the Nassau County Republican Committee, according to the state Department of Elections.Singas said the allegations surfaced amid her office’s continuing investigation into the county’s contracting process, which has been the focus of numerous inquiries this year. Korona is not accused of any crimes related to contracts, prosecutors noted.Nassau County Judge Frank Doddato released Korona without bail. Korona faces up to four years in prison, if convicted. He is due back in court Nov. 10.-With Rashed Mianlast_img read more