Conor McDonald is a major doubt for Wexford’s Leinster Senior Hurling Final with Galway on Sunday week.The star forward will have a scan on an ankle injury sustained in training last weekend and his chances of featuring in the final have been rated as ’50-50′.Meanwhile Wexford manager Davy Fitzgerald’s revealed that he’s considering watching the game from high in the stand rather than patrolling the side-line.
ATLANTIC HIGHLANDS — The staff at the Atlantic Highlands public library is busy preparing for their next big move, but it’s all good, according to the branch manager.Marilyn Scherfen is working with her staff to relocate the library’s approximately 22,000 materials for the move from the library’s temporary location, where it has been for the last two and a half years, to its permanent surroundings in the recently renovated borough hall at 100 First Ave.“It’s like any move,” Scherfen explained. “It’s no different. You have all the I’s to dot and T’s to cross. Hopefully, they will be.“The last move went pretty smoothly,” she said, hoping this will be the same.The library closed as the borough undertook a complete renovation of its municipal complex, which contained its business offices, borough council chambers, municipal court, police headquarters and the library.The six million dollar renovation expanded the library’s original space from roughly 1,600 square feet to 4,000.The municipal complex had been plagued with mold problems and had become increasingly inadequate for the borough’s needs, officials said during prior discussions on the renovation project.This was true for the library portion, too, Scherfen said. The old library was located in the basement level of the old borough hall building and was not fully accessible for handicapped patrons, who had to rely on a chairlift to get down to the library.And, Scherfen said “Once down there it was really cramped.” Now, “It has a much more open feeling,” with the abundance of windows and light, she said of the new space. “I think everyone will feel uplifted and enlightened.”While the First Avenue building was under construction, the library operated out of the field house at the Fireman’s Field sports field, Avenue C. While the project was underway, local and county officials negotiated to have the borough library become a branch of the county library system.The temporary location worked out better than initially expected, Scherfen said. “A lot of patrons were coming through and saying how they enjoyed it over here, adding that many of them noted the temporary location had a homey atmosphere. “So, they hadn’t minded it as much as they thought they might.”The shelves are in place at the new library in borough hall and the staff is waiting for shelving tops and sides and the circulation desk to be installed, all of which should be completed this week.The library will close for two weeks beginning April 9, to allow the movers to relocate materials and equipment from the fieldhouse, and get the computers hooked up and other equipment ready to go for when the library re-opens on April 23, she said.Once they’re up and running, “We’re hoping everyone will come down and see this new wonderful space,” Scherfen said.
Fortuna >> Mike Benbow might not have seen a better first half from his team to open the North Coast Section playoffs last Friday night.Seven days later, last week’s impressive first half got a pretty good run for its money.Sparked by a monster stand on fourth down and a rushing attack that could not be stopped, 4th-seeded Fortuna scored a mind-boggling 41 unanswered points to end the first half that turned what was a back-and-forth opening eight minutes into a runaway 60-6 win over No. 5 …
26 October 2016The renewable energy industry is a two-fold opportunity: it offers cost- effective, environmentally friendly energy to consumers in Africa and it provides a new avenue of business for entrepreneurs. Five companies are at the forefront of making alternative energy viable on the continent.Solynta EnergySolynta Engineering Team in action! #solar#nigeria#lagos# pic.twitter.com/vcoDDeKIpo— Solynta Energy (@SolyntaEnergy) October 6, 2015Founded by Lagos entrepreneur Uvie Ugono in Nigeria in 2013, Solynta provides solar panel installations to Nigeria, Ghana and South Africa. Operating with little corporate support, the company focuses on installing systems onto schools, healthcare facilities and small businesses. The company also operates a number of solar “filling stations” around Nigeria that offers consumer education, repairs and pre-loaded solar panels.Off Grid ElectricOur customers rely on their mobile devices to make payments https://t.co/3SxVFpiE6c pic.twitter.com/K8YcDs2j7t— Off Grid Electric (@OffGridE) August 18, 2016This Tanzanian small-scale power supplier uses the M-Pesa mobile money service to provide solar power systems, including LED lighting systems, to rural areas. The self-sustaining solar system complete with panels and lithium battery can be installed for as little as US$6 (about R82). It has installed over 10 000 systems in rural Tanzania and Rwanda. The company raised over $25-million (about R344-million) in 2015 that goes towards providing systems, maintenance support and technical training.Ugesi GoldUgesi Gold and EnergyNet’s off-grid energy solution starts generating power at SA school https://t.co/T4tJXNVYIA pic.twitter.com/QHrR3u8jKf— Damilola Ade (@aadedamilola) February 17, 2016A South African energy start-up, Ugesi Gold provides solar battery charging stations, called SolarTurtles, in rural areas where users can charge solar battery packs which are then carried home. In February 2014 the project was proclaimed as a Climate Solver by the World Wildlife Fund that highlights the best technologies in reducing carbon emissions and support energy access while creating awareness of the value of innovation as a tool to tackle climate change.JuabarAnother great concept for #solar mobile phone charging kiosks in rural areas – this one Juabar from Tanzania #tech4D pic.twitter.com/mpOc6zurpO— Anna Lowe (@annawillcreate) January 29, 2016Juabars, Swahili for ‘sun bar’, are becoming a common sight in Tanzania in small towns and urban areas alike. Started in 2013, Juabar travelling solar-powered phone charging kiosks use 50W solar-PV systems to charge up to 20 mobile phones or small electronic appliances at once. The company charges $600 (about R8 200) for start-up equipment and aftersales technical support to entrepreneurs who want to offer charging services to the approximately 30-million mobile users in the country. The stations are also used as mini-hubs for the community “to interact with, learn about, and create their own solar energy solutions.”[email protected] empowers the sustainable economic development of BoP communities through clean energy services and products. #CleanSolcution pic.twitter.com/6D9AGbt4MF— GoodFestival 2016 (@GoodPowWow) October 22, 2016Operating in Kenya and Ethiopia, SolarKiosk converts traditional kiosk-stores with solar panels, enabling it to run on its own power and provide additional services to consumers, including battery charging, refrigeration and internet access. The converted kiosks provide a vital connection for rural communities to the rest of the world. The concept has been featured at the global ideas hub Tedx and won several international innovation awards.Source: AFKInsiderSouthAfrica.info reporterWould you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SouthAfrica.info material
Twenty-seven years after filing a case seeking maintenance from her estranged husband, a woman in Bhubaneswar now sees a glimmer of hope of getting regular alimony.In the long court battle, the woman not only had to justify her rightful claim for an allowance, but also had to establish the identity of her husband as the man she was really married to. The curious case of Sabita Chand, now 56, and her estranged husband Ashok Kumar Das alias Ashok Kumar Chand has hopefully come to an end, with a family court in Bhubaneswar directing immediate release of a maintenance fee to her.Ashok Kumar Chand, who worked in the Indian Railways, had married Ms. Chand in 1985 by concealing his identity. In 1992, Ms. Chand filed a case in the court seeking maintenance. Earlier this month, the court directed the bank manager to transfer one-third of his pension to Ms. Chand.
Former South African pacer Andre Nel allegedly attempted suicide on Friday, a report said. Nel resorted to the extreme step after his alleged extra-marital affairs were exposed recently. The temperamental Protea cricketer allegedly had affairs with two English women while playing for Surrey in England. He is now reported out of danger and is being looked after by a team of doctors. Nel and his wife Deanne Weitz have been married for six years and are expecting their first child in April. He took retirement from international cricket due to the alleged discriminatory policies in South African cricket. He had a troubled past with numerous on-field spats with various cricketers. He had an exchange with Indian pacer S. Sreesanth as well.
Liverpool boss Klopp: We don’t have fringe players hereby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveLiverpool boss Jurgen Klopp says he has no fringe players in his squad.It’s a busy period for the European champions who will have played seven times between September 14 and October 5 before breaking off an international round of fixtures. Klopp, though, isn’t bemoaning a hectic fixture list.He told the Liverpool Echo: “We don’t have fringe players here, we only have first team players and a few young guns. We now play a lot Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday, so we will have to see about [changes].”We don’t just play a lot of football we travel a lot, but you know that. Every team has to do that, we don’t go for excuses. Other teams have difficult situations, as well, it is like that.”You want to play Champions League, desperately and then it starts, you don’t say ‘oh my God, look at all these games’ that makes no sense. It is good.”The cup competitions are really nice and I am sure it will be a tough game against MK Dons because they are obviously pretty good as well. It will be interesting. We live for that so we should use these opportunities.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
Advertisement Twitter Facebook What should have been a triumphant homecoming turn for the Mississauga-raised R&B auteur Jahron Anthony Brathwaite — who gifted Rihanna and Drake with 2016’s arguable single of the year, “Work,” and whose latest album, P3, cracked the Billboard chart in August at No. 4 in Canada and No. 3 in the U.S. — felt oddly perfunctory even before Party himself conceded three-quarters of the way through his 70-minute set that his heart hadn’t really been in the evening’s lacklustre party all along. LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment “I didn’t really wanna come out here tonight. I wasn’t really feeling it,” he confessed. “It’s nothing to do with y’all. It’s just been an awkward day, that’s all.”It wasn’t clear what made the day awkward.Holdups at the border were reportedly responsible for delaying the scheduled 1 p.m. opening of a PartyNextDoor pop-up shop at 5 Brock Ave. on Thursday by about five hours — set to reopen on Friday, promising the possibility of an appearance by Party himself — so it’s entirely possibly Brathwaite and his crew were simply exhausted on their way back from a Monday-night gig in New York. The fact that onetime OVO associate the Weeknd elected to host a pre-release listening party for his new record, Starboy, mere blocks away from Rebel in a studio on Commissioners St. while PartyNextDoor, the first actual signing to Drake’s label, locally celebrated the release of his own latest album might have stung a bit, too. Login/Register With: Prediction: PartyNextDoor kills it at Rebel on Friday evening.He’s got some unfinished business to do in Toronto. He didn’t kill it on Thursday night at the venue — the notably improved, if still logistically remote, Toronto port lands space formerly known as Sound Academy and the Docks. Advertisement Advertisement
TORONTO – Canada’s real estate market will hit a slow patch in 2018 as tighter mortgage stress tests apply pressure and the impact could be exacerbated if an expected interest rate hike drives buyers to put off their home purchases, economists said Monday.The Bank of Canada will make its first interest rate announcement of the year on Wednesday. Many observers predict will boost the country’s benchmark rate by 25 points to 1.25 per cent after the economy’s strong performance last year and a particularly strong jobs report from November. If the economy keeps pace, they believe that rate may be bumped up a few more times over 2018.The suspected hikes could heap stress onto buyers already combating stricter regulations that were introduced by the Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions on Jan. 1 for uninsured mortgages, and elevated five-year, fixed mortgage rates that were pushed up by the CIBC, RBC and TD banks last week.“This is the most significant test the market has seen in recent years,” said Benjamin Tal, CIBC’s chief deputy chief economist.He expects a market slowdown to be seen as early as the first quarter as people who were hoping to scoop up homes weigh whether renting or living with family for a bit longer will pay off later in the year, when the country has grown accustomed to the new conditions.“The big question though is to what extent investors will stop buying,” says Tal. “That will carry a big effect, but it’s still the biggest unknown.”The Canadian Real Estate Association slashed its sales forecast for 2018 to predict a 5.3 per cent drop in national sales to 486,600 units this year, shaving about 8,500 units from its previous estimate due to the impact of the stricter mortgage stress tests.On Monday, the association released a report revealing that national home sales rose 4.5 per cent in December from the month before and that the average national home price reached just over $496,500, up 5.7 per cent from one year earlier.It said the bounce likely stemmed from buyers scrambling to nab homes before being forced to submit to the uninsured mortgage regulations, which requires would-be homebuyers with a more than 20 per cent down payment to prove they can still service their uninsured mortgage at a qualifying rate of the greater of the contractual mortgage rate plus two percentage points or the five-year benchmark rate published by the Bank of Canada.“It will be interesting to see if the monthly sales activity continues to rise despite tighter mortgage regulations,” Gregory Klump, CREA’s chief economist, said in the report.It also shared that the number of homes on the market increased by 3.3 per cent in December from the month before and December home sales were up 4.1 per cent on a year-over-year basis.The improvements signal that the country is “fully recovering from the slump last summer” when there was a drop in sales before a set of policies introduced by the Ontario government in April produced the desired market slowdown in Toronto during the second and third quarters following a hot first quarter.“The new OFSI measures and a shift to a rising-state environment should prevent speculative froth from building again, and contain price growth to a reasonable pace for the remainder of the cycle,” BMO Capital Markets senior economist Robert Kavcic predicted in a note Monday.Looking across the country, he said Toronto home sales were in “a strong spot,” Calgary’s “remained steady” and Ottawa and Montreal were “continually showing better momentum.”CREA said in December it had seen 60 per cent of all local markets surge in activity.That spike came as no surprise to Toronto-based realtor David Fleming.While agents typically avoid keeping listings up over the holidays, he saw many bucking their usual habit this year by leaving homes on the market because sales were so strong.Of the three listings he let sit, one sold on Dec. 31 and another on Jan. 2.“There are definitely people who thought they had to close a deal before Jan. 1. and the numbers are really showing that,” Fleming said.“I think it will take a couple months for buyers to wrap their heads around the new rules and for the country to see the affect.”
With these announcements, the B.C. Liberals say Premier John Horgan has been ignoring their calls for his Government to take action on this growing issue.According to the Liberals, Finance Minister Carole James announced that the Government would not be providing any new funding to the forest sector but only offer their sympathies to the affected workers.The Liberals blame the NDP for the closures because of the new Forest Amendment Act, Bill-22.Local Conservative M.P., Bob Zimmer, says he, along with other Conservative M.P.’s from B.C., has been briefed on the situation.Zimmer adds that the federal Liberal and provincial NDP governments are not doing enough when it comes to supporting the industry and its workers.“In these uncertain times, it looks as though this may just be the beginning, which is why I, along with other Conservative Members of Parliament from British Columbia, have been briefed on these closures and curtailments and possible next steps. It is clear that both the federal Liberal government and provincial NDP government are simply not doing enough to support this important industry and its workers.” FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Frustration continues to build within the B.C. Forest industry as more mills announce closures and curtailments.To date, there have been about 50 sawmills and plants that have announced curtailments or closures this year.Most recently, the Peace Valley OSB Plant announced that it will be closing this summer and the Taylor Pulp Mill has issued more production curtailments. Last week, Minister of Forests, Doug Donaldson, said his Government will be sending a Community Response Transition Team to assist those affected by the closure.